I just did it for the first time since it was installed back in '89...24 years ago. The water came out very clean to begin with and not a sign of sediment...so I stopped after about 5 minutes or so, my basement drain was over flooded. Does this mean that i have no sediment? I am a widower, so it doesn't get much use as it would a family...perhaps that is why. While I am at it, I could use that drain with my garden hose, so i could water my plants in front of my house. The hose spigot is installed at the rear of the house for the small garden i have there and need. The problem is the water is hot to begin with, but it was cooling off plenty in the five minutes or so i was draining. Save me a lot of trouble and money to have a spigot installed in front of the house.
If it hasn't been drained in 24 years you took a chance lucky it didn't develop any leaks after you did that. Also you didn't do it properly because no cold should come out. All hot until it is done draining. You're supposed to turn off the heater be it gas or electric, the cold water supply,open a hot faucet or the relief valve, then the drain valve.
By using the hot water until it cols off enough to water your lawn is costing you a small fortune not only in water but a heck of a waste of energy. By having a tank cool because of all the hot water drained your risking tank failure from thermo stress.
- 10 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 11 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 12 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Surprising Ways to Cure Household Odors
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home on a Budget
- 10 Ways to Live Large in a Small Space
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Dressing Up the Dresser: 11 Clever DIY Transformations
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 10 Ways to Use Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- How To: Paint EVERYTHING
- Man, Oh Man! 7 Unbelievable Guy Spaces
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 12 Wow-Worthy Woods for Kitchen Countertops
- 10 "Neat" Garage Storage Solutions
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- How To: Clean EVERYTHING