I own a second home on the east side of the Pacific Coast Highway in Carlsbad, CA with great views of the ocean. It is a fine beach home. My wife and I would like to retire there but the downstairs does not have a lot of living area for a full time home and expansion is just not feasible due to the near zero lot lines in the subdivision. My options are: move to a larger place further away from the ocean or expand the home in some way. I have considered excavating below the current garage and part of the driveway to install underground parking for two cars, with a car elevator lift placed in the current driveway (my homage to Mitt Romney). Then I would be able to convert the existing first floor two-car garage to living area. The home was built around 1998 and is on a concrete slab foundation. I am prepared to spend around $100-125K if needed so I can stay close to the beach. Is this a feasible project? Am I insane?
I think remodeling your beach home is very good idea and no you are not insane. A beach home means you breathe in fresh air every day and take in some panoramic views. There are many ideas which you could use to enlarge your home and the best thing to do is check out various magazines for designs for home expansion. And while redesigning your home, don’t forget to use stainless steel handrail for better style and more protection.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes