I own a second home on the east side of the Pacific Coast Highway in Carlsbad, CA with great views of the ocean. It is a fine beach home. My wife and I would like to retire there but the downstairs does not have a lot of living area for a full time home and expansion is just not feasible due to the near zero lot lines in the subdivision. My options are: move to a larger place further away from the ocean or expand the home in some way. I have considered excavating below the current garage and part of the driveway to install underground parking for two cars, with a car elevator lift placed in the current driveway (my homage to Mitt Romney). Then I would be able to convert the existing first floor two-car garage to living area. The home was built around 1998 and is on a concrete slab foundation. I am prepared to spend around $100-125K if needed so I can stay close to the beach. Is this a feasible project? Am I insane?
I think remodeling your beach home is very good idea and no you are not insane. A beach home means you breathe in fresh air every day and take in some panoramic views. There are many ideas which you could use to enlarge your home and the best thing to do is check out various magazines for designs for home expansion. And while redesigning your home, don’t forget to use stainless steel handrail for better style and more protection.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!