I own a second home on the east side of the Pacific Coast Highway in Carlsbad, CA with great views of the ocean. It is a fine beach home. My wife and I would like to retire there but the downstairs does not have a lot of living area for a full time home and expansion is just not feasible due to the near zero lot lines in the subdivision. My options are: move to a larger place further away from the ocean or expand the home in some way. I have considered excavating below the current garage and part of the driveway to install underground parking for two cars, with a car elevator lift placed in the current driveway (my homage to Mitt Romney). Then I would be able to convert the existing first floor two-car garage to living area. The home was built around 1998 and is on a concrete slab foundation. I am prepared to spend around $100-125K if needed so I can stay close to the beach. Is this a feasible project? Am I insane?
I think remodeling your beach home is very good idea and no you are not insane. A beach home means you breathe in fresh air every day and take in some panoramic views. There are many ideas which you could use to enlarge your home and the best thing to do is check out various magazines for designs for home expansion. And while redesigning your home, don’t forget to use stainless steel handrail for better style and more protection.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!