I own a second home on the east side of the Pacific Coast Highway in Carlsbad, CA with great views of the ocean. It is a fine beach home. My wife and I would like to retire there but the downstairs does not have a lot of living area for a full time home and expansion is just not feasible due to the near zero lot lines in the subdivision. My options are: move to a larger place further away from the ocean or expand the home in some way. I have considered excavating below the current garage and part of the driveway to install underground parking for two cars, with a car elevator lift placed in the current driveway (my homage to Mitt Romney). Then I would be able to convert the existing first floor two-car garage to living area. The home was built around 1998 and is on a concrete slab foundation. I am prepared to spend around $100-125K if needed so I can stay close to the beach. Is this a feasible project? Am I insane?
I think remodeling your beach home is very good idea and no you are not insane. A beach home means you breathe in fresh air every day and take in some panoramic views. There are many ideas which you could use to enlarge your home and the best thing to do is check out various magazines for designs for home expansion. And while redesigning your home, don’t forget to use stainless steel handrail for better style and more protection.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Recipe for Success: 10 Easy Kitchen Storage Hacks
- Winning Combinations: 9 "Can't Miss" Color Schemes
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- The Ultimate All-Natural Cleaning Guide