I have a fairly dry basement. The only water leaking was the result of plumbing issues with my irrigation system as oppose to mother nature. The irrigation system sits outside a basement window. The previous home owner was oblivious to the leaks. The plumbing issues fixed and no water issues in the basement. The constant fairly heavy leak resulted in cracks extending from the corners of the windows in the basement.
My plan was to do polyurethane injections in the cracks of the windows next to the irrigation system to protect against human error. I was then going to just follow the "This old house" method of insulating the basement walls to finish the basement. http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20332381,00.html
Out of curiosity...
I had the Basement systems folks give me a quote for insulating and waterproofing my basement. They recommended their basement to beautiful wall panels. A 2 ½" thick layer of foam wall insulation offers R-13 insulation and a vapor barrier. The gentleman said that to install they would need to jack hammer the perimeter of my basement. The walls then sit below the floor and any water that penetrates the walls would end up flowing behind the panels and below the basement floors. Essentially it sounds like a French drain system but he did not recommend I needed a sump pump. They also said there would not be a need to fix the cracks in the foundation. (Not structural cracks) because water would just drain into the floor if it ever did leak...
I am confused about where the water ends up with this method and wanted to know what others thought of this recommendation. French drains with no sump pump and water draining below the basement floor? Is this overkill or should I just fill the cracks and use the rigid foam but now I wonder where water will end up without a french drain...
Just confused. haha. Let me know what others think...
- Forum >
- Basement & Foundation >
- For my fairly dry basement: Interior French Drains without sump pump????
Foundation level with ground can't grade soil away f...
Concrete basement floors
Company to install french drains and sump pump?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers