I have a fairly dry basement. The only water leaking was the result of plumbing issues with my irrigation system as oppose to mother nature. The irrigation system sits outside a basement window. The previous home owner was oblivious to the leaks. The plumbing issues fixed and no water issues in the basement. The constant fairly heavy leak resulted in cracks extending from the corners of the windows in the basement.
My plan was to do polyurethane injections in the cracks of the windows next to the irrigation system to protect against human error. I was then going to just follow the "This old house" method of insulating the basement walls to finish the basement. http://www.thisoldhouse.com/toh/video/0,,20332381,00.html
Out of curiosity...
I had the Basement systems folks give me a quote for insulating and waterproofing my basement. They recommended their basement to beautiful wall panels. A 2 ½" thick layer of foam wall insulation offers R-13 insulation and a vapor barrier. The gentleman said that to install they would need to jack hammer the perimeter of my basement. The walls then sit below the floor and any water that penetrates the walls would end up flowing behind the panels and below the basement floors. Essentially it sounds like a French drain system but he did not recommend I needed a sump pump. They also said there would not be a need to fix the cracks in the foundation. (Not structural cracks) because water would just drain into the floor if it ever did leak...
I am confused about where the water ends up with this method and wanted to know what others thought of this recommendation. French drains with no sump pump and water draining below the basement floor? Is this overkill or should I just fill the cracks and use the rigid foam but now I wonder where water will end up without a french drain...
Just confused. haha. Let me know what others think...
- Forum >
- Basement & Foundation >
- For my fairly dry basement: Interior French Drains without sump pump????
Foundation level with ground can't grade soil away f...
Concrete basement floors
Company to install french drains and sump pump?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Prefab-ulous: 14 Jaw-Dropping Modern Homes
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Why Are "Natural" Swimming Pools Popular?
- 9 Ways of Adding Moldings to Walls
- 1 Dozen Ways to Make the Most of a Small Yard
- 13 Easy Lanterns to Make for Your Porch or Patio
- 12 Expert Tips for a Fantastic Front Yard