Updating original 1950s kitchen - turquoise appliances and all!
We have a home built in 1957, which has its original turquoise appliances (stove and oven) and Lark pattern Formica countertops/backsplashes. The cabinets are a solid wood panel, maybe maple?? We'd love to completely re-do the kitchen, but how often do you see turquoise appliances and original Lark Formica countertops these days? I'd love to have some ideas for modernizing the kitchen without sacrificing the mid-century modern vibe. Thinking of painting the cabinets white and re-doing the floor - but would LOVE to hear suggestions and see pics of what others have done!
I suggest replacing a few of the solid doors with glass along with painting the cabinets. Also replace the handles and pulls, maybe black.
Awesome! Keeping the turquoise sounds like a good idea if they are in good shape! Maybe Paint your cabinets white and install chrome fixtures (brushed nickel is moving out and shiny chrome is making a return). I bet you could find some awesome orange accents for your counters or walls at IKEA. (Orange and turquoise go well together as long as its balanced with a neutral color like white).
I like the chrome fixtures idea, as that's pretty '50s. I have yellow accents now, but you're right about orange. Fortunately, accents are easily changed up!
Voltage issues? Appliances and lights burn out!
new kitchen, new appliances
Broken Pipes in home i was closing on.Should i still...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!