Updating original 1950s kitchen - turquoise appliances and all!
We have a home built in 1957, which has its original turquoise appliances (stove and oven) and Lark pattern Formica countertops/backsplashes. The cabinets are a solid wood panel, maybe maple?? We'd love to completely re-do the kitchen, but how often do you see turquoise appliances and original Lark Formica countertops these days? I'd love to have some ideas for modernizing the kitchen without sacrificing the mid-century modern vibe. Thinking of painting the cabinets white and re-doing the floor - but would LOVE to hear suggestions and see pics of what others have done!
I suggest replacing a few of the solid doors with glass along with painting the cabinets. Also replace the handles and pulls, maybe black.
Awesome! Keeping the turquoise sounds like a good idea if they are in good shape! Maybe Paint your cabinets white and install chrome fixtures (brushed nickel is moving out and shiny chrome is making a return). I bet you could find some awesome orange accents for your counters or walls at IKEA. (Orange and turquoise go well together as long as its balanced with a neutral color like white).
I like the chrome fixtures idea, as that's pretty '50s. I have yellow accents now, but you're right about orange. Fortunately, accents are easily changed up!
Voltage issues? Appliances and lights burn out!
new kitchen, new appliances
Broken Pipes in home i was closing on.Should i still...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees