Updating original 1950s kitchen - turquoise appliances and all!
We have a home built in 1957, which has its original turquoise appliances (stove and oven) and Lark pattern Formica countertops/backsplashes. The cabinets are a solid wood panel, maybe maple?? We'd love to completely re-do the kitchen, but how often do you see turquoise appliances and original Lark Formica countertops these days? I'd love to have some ideas for modernizing the kitchen without sacrificing the mid-century modern vibe. Thinking of painting the cabinets white and re-doing the floor - but would LOVE to hear suggestions and see pics of what others have done!
I suggest replacing a few of the solid doors with glass along with painting the cabinets. Also replace the handles and pulls, maybe black.
Awesome! Keeping the turquoise sounds like a good idea if they are in good shape! Maybe Paint your cabinets white and install chrome fixtures (brushed nickel is moving out and shiny chrome is making a return). I bet you could find some awesome orange accents for your counters or walls at IKEA. (Orange and turquoise go well together as long as its balanced with a neutral color like white).
I like the chrome fixtures idea, as that's pretty '50s. I have yellow accents now, but you're right about orange. Fortunately, accents are easily changed up!
Voltage issues? Appliances and lights burn out!
new kitchen, new appliances
Broken Pipes in home i was closing on.Should i still...
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight