Updating original 1950s kitchen - turquoise appliances and all!
We have a home built in 1957, which has its original turquoise appliances (stove and oven) and Lark pattern Formica countertops/backsplashes. The cabinets are a solid wood panel, maybe maple?? We'd love to completely re-do the kitchen, but how often do you see turquoise appliances and original Lark Formica countertops these days? I'd love to have some ideas for modernizing the kitchen without sacrificing the mid-century modern vibe. Thinking of painting the cabinets white and re-doing the floor - but would LOVE to hear suggestions and see pics of what others have done!
I suggest replacing a few of the solid doors with glass along with painting the cabinets. Also replace the handles and pulls, maybe black.
Awesome! Keeping the turquoise sounds like a good idea if they are in good shape! Maybe Paint your cabinets white and install chrome fixtures (brushed nickel is moving out and shiny chrome is making a return). I bet you could find some awesome orange accents for your counters or walls at IKEA. (Orange and turquoise go well together as long as its balanced with a neutral color like white).
I like the chrome fixtures idea, as that's pretty '50s. I have yellow accents now, but you're right about orange. Fortunately, accents are easily changed up!
Voltage issues? Appliances and lights burn out!
new kitchen, new appliances
Broken Pipes in home i was closing on.Should i still...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 5 Things to Do with... Colanders
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps