I removed a ceiling fan/light and replaced it with a new light fixture. Unfortunately, I didn't note the wiring connections in the old fixture. The light won't turn on when the wall switch for it is moved to 'on'. The switch only controls this one fixture or, that is, it used to.
In the metal ceiling box: one cable - blk, wht, copper. I connect like colors to each other with good wire nuts and the copper wire from both cable and fixture to green screw.
In the metal switch box: one cable - blk, wht, copper. White wire at bottom of single pole switch is hot when measured to box. Blk wire at top of switch is not hot in 'off', becomes hot in 'on'. Copper wire is connect to green screw in box but NOT to switch.
I suspect some sort of non-standard circuitry here. It wouldn't be a surprise in this house.
Problem installing new light fixture with old switch...
installing ceiling fixture
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes