I removed a ceiling fan/light and replaced it with a new light fixture. Unfortunately, I didn't note the wiring connections in the old fixture. The light won't turn on when the wall switch for it is moved to 'on'. The switch only controls this one fixture or, that is, it used to.
In the metal ceiling box: one cable - blk, wht, copper. I connect like colors to each other with good wire nuts and the copper wire from both cable and fixture to green screw.
In the metal switch box: one cable - blk, wht, copper. White wire at bottom of single pole switch is hot when measured to box. Blk wire at top of switch is not hot in 'off', becomes hot in 'on'. Copper wire is connect to green screw in box but NOT to switch.
I suspect some sort of non-standard circuitry here. It wouldn't be a surprise in this house.
Problem installing new light fixture with old switch...
installing ceiling fixture
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!