I removed a ceiling fan/light and replaced it with a new light fixture. Unfortunately, I didn't note the wiring connections in the old fixture. The light won't turn on when the wall switch for it is moved to 'on'. The switch only controls this one fixture or, that is, it used to.
In the metal ceiling box: one cable - blk, wht, copper. I connect like colors to each other with good wire nuts and the copper wire from both cable and fixture to green screw.
In the metal switch box: one cable - blk, wht, copper. White wire at bottom of single pole switch is hot when measured to box. Blk wire at top of switch is not hot in 'off', becomes hot in 'on'. Copper wire is connect to green screw in box but NOT to switch.
I suspect some sort of non-standard circuitry here. It wouldn't be a surprise in this house.
Problem installing new light fixture with old switch...
installing ceiling fixture
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 47 Industrial Kitchens
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps