We have a second-story laundry room that we are having issues with during the winter. Some backround:
- House was built in 2006. It has 2x6 walls.
-Laundry room is between two bedroom on the front (south side of the house. It is approximately 5'x10'. Half of it is below the entryway (inside the house) and the other hald extends outside (overhang). There is one single-hung window. A door can be closed to close-off the room.
- During cold winter days the room get very cold (especially first thing in the morning when the heat hasn't gone on yet....we lower our heat at night). The floor of the room (especially over the outside overhang) is very cold to the touch. We have also had issues with excessive moisture during the winer (I'm assuming a condensation issue with the cold air and the dryer). There are a coule of areas of blackish mildew on the drywall on corners.
- There is one heater vent in the room (located on the ceiling) and no cold air return.
- I have replaced the dryer original dryer vent with this: http://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/venting/dryer/dryer-vent-c losure/p-1461044-c-9502.htm It seems to have helped a bit as inside the dryer isn't as cold before starting on cold days.
- We did complain to the builder shortly after moving in and they did come out and pull off the overhand and check for insulation. It didn't seem to help and they have gone bankrupt since.
So I am wondering what I should do next. Should I pull off the sofitt and check for insulation (I don't really trust the builder)? Check in the attic for proper insulation all the way out to the edge? Insulate better around the window (we have an issue with all the windows that I've posted about it a seperate thread (http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/windows/msg0910325913713.html). Pull of all the drywall on the outer-facing walls and check for proper insulation? Should I be concerned with the mildew? Should I remove the pieces of drywall where the mildew has started?
Thanks in advance!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes