We have a second-story laundry room that we are having issues with during the winter. Some backround:
- House was built in 2006. It has 2x6 walls.
-Laundry room is between two bedroom on the front (south side of the house. It is approximately 5'x10'. Half of it is below the entryway (inside the house) and the other hald extends outside (overhang). There is one single-hung window. A door can be closed to close-off the room.
- During cold winter days the room get very cold (especially first thing in the morning when the heat hasn't gone on yet....we lower our heat at night). The floor of the room (especially over the outside overhang) is very cold to the touch. We have also had issues with excessive moisture during the winer (I'm assuming a condensation issue with the cold air and the dryer). There are a coule of areas of blackish mildew on the drywall on corners.
- There is one heater vent in the room (located on the ceiling) and no cold air return.
- I have replaced the dryer original dryer vent with this: http://www.menards.com/main/heating-cooling/venting/dryer/dryer-vent-c losure/p-1461044-c-9502.htm It seems to have helped a bit as inside the dryer isn't as cold before starting on cold days.
- We did complain to the builder shortly after moving in and they did come out and pull off the overhand and check for insulation. It didn't seem to help and they have gone bankrupt since.
So I am wondering what I should do next. Should I pull off the sofitt and check for insulation (I don't really trust the builder)? Check in the attic for proper insulation all the way out to the edge? Insulate better around the window (we have an issue with all the windows that I've posted about it a seperate thread (http://ths.gardenweb.com/forums/load/windows/msg0910325913713.html). Pull of all the drywall on the outer-facing walls and check for proper insulation? Should I be concerned with the mildew? Should I remove the pieces of drywall where the mildew has started?
Thanks in advance!
Get Help from Bob Vila
- Give-Aways & Offers
- Monthly Must Do's
- DIY Project Ideas
- Step-by-Step Guides
- Inspirational Photo Galleries