My house has cantilivered rim joists/joists all the way around. Looks to be to code - overhang is equal to depth of joist.
I am building new steps going from a new stamped concrete patio up to a sliding patio door. The steps are 6 feet wide, and have 5 rises. I built a ledger at the top of the steps to use to attach to my rim joist. It looks like connecting the ledge directly to the rim joist is a bad idea. The rim joist may only have 2 or 3 nails per joist, and since it is not on the sill, is probably not suitable for load. Instead I am thinking of putting in solid blocking in my basement - ie. doubling up behind the rim joist and then using strongtie angles to attach the solid blocking to the joists. Then I will some lags or ledgerlock bolts to go through my ledger, through the rim joist into the solid blocking for a secure connection. Does this sound like a good idea?
Also, do I need to be worried about stress on the joint caused by potential frost heaving of the concrete patio?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!