I have double doors on the exterior of the house that I want hung so that they open outside? Is this the norm? How would you hang them?
In residential applications, outswinging is not the norm. The reasons are two fold. First, outswinging doors are more exposed to the damp because the weather seal is toward the inside edge of the door leaving the door edges exposed to the outside air and rain. Second, outswinging doors are more susceptible to the wind slamming them closed or tearing them from the hinges on the backswing. If your application is well sheltered from water and the doors can be latched open or are never exposed to the wind, then there is no reason you can't swing them out. Most commercial building are required to swing doors toward the outside if the door is a code required exit.
hanging a exterior door with sidelights
Rental house-UGLY exterior doors!
new wooden door
Insulated vs Non-Insulated Glass in Exterior Wood Door
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!