I noticed a high dust accumulation in a short time in our apartment (1st winter here, old building). I decided to clean the intakes and change the air filter. I discovered that the old filter, placed by apartment maintance was 25% smaller than the cold air return hole. Furthermore, there is no air filter holding frame or strap or metal clips to hold it place. Basically they had leaned this filter onto the front of the fan.
Logic tells me this is not a correct setup: the filter was not dirty because the air goes right around it. The interior to the unit has a 3 mm layer of dust inside, the intake vent has ~12 mm layer of dust/debris inside it. Even more alarming, when I removed the intake vent from the wall I found that there is a 1 foot hole in the drywall behind it full of the dust/debris stuff.
So far, I have vacuumed out the intake vents in the apartment, and used AC metal duct tape to attach a correctly sized filter over the cold air return (hoping it will stay affixed until I change it).
1. Is there a better way for me to use a filter? Note: I cannot cut sheet metal or modify the existing ductwork.
2. Should I be worried about air quality given the state of the intake vent, the accumulation of dust behind the drywall, and the hole in the drywall? Could it be blowing insulation particles, asbestos, lead, etc into our apartment? (I checked on a neighbor's unit and found the same setup, with 1 difference, they had no filter)
3. Should I have the ducts professionally cleaned?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Quick and Creative Stocking Stuffers
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 Must-Do Projects for November
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- The Top 10 Artificial Christmas Trees