I recently installed a new front door and the sill is quite a bit out of level so while the door is level and secure the sill that extends towards the exterior of the house is almost floating on one side. I’ve put shims in there so it’s now supported but I’d like to fill the entire gap under that sill plate. Can I use spray foam? Will that secure it, meaning will there be any give to the sill if I use that? I’m looking for something so I don’t have to shim the entire width of these door. If not spray foam, what else can I use?
How's it going,
I can't tell you for sure if the spray foam would work. I have never used it for that purpose. My only concern would be how it holds up over time.
If you decide to go that route, be careful. Use the foam that does not expand. If you use the expandable and are not careful, it will bulge up your sill causing a huge problem.
There are 2 ways you can handle this.
1) place shims under sill about every 4 or 5 inches and cut flush.
2) If you have a table saw, cut a wedge to fill gap.
After doing either one of these, run a nice bead of caulk to seal the gap. Use a very good grade of siliconized latex caulk.
Silicone works great but is harder to work with.
Make sure your surfaces are clean and dust free.
Thanks for stopping and good luck
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs