I recently installed a new front door and the sill is quite a bit out of level so while the door is level and secure the sill that extends towards the exterior of the house is almost floating on one side. I’ve put shims in there so it’s now supported but I’d like to fill the entire gap under that sill plate. Can I use spray foam? Will that secure it, meaning will there be any give to the sill if I use that? I’m looking for something so I don’t have to shim the entire width of these door. If not spray foam, what else can I use?
How's it going,
I can't tell you for sure if the spray foam would work. I have never used it for that purpose. My only concern would be how it holds up over time.
If you decide to go that route, be careful. Use the foam that does not expand. If you use the expandable and are not careful, it will bulge up your sill causing a huge problem.
There are 2 ways you can handle this.
1) place shims under sill about every 4 or 5 inches and cut flush.
2) If you have a table saw, cut a wedge to fill gap.
After doing either one of these, run a nice bead of caulk to seal the gap. Use a very good grade of siliconized latex caulk.
Silicone works great but is harder to work with.
Make sure your surfaces are clean and dust free.
Thanks for stopping and good luck
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps