I recently installed a new front door and the sill is quite a bit out of level so while the door is level and secure the sill that extends towards the exterior of the house is almost floating on one side. I’ve put shims in there so it’s now supported but I’d like to fill the entire gap under that sill plate. Can I use spray foam? Will that secure it, meaning will there be any give to the sill if I use that? I’m looking for something so I don’t have to shim the entire width of these door. If not spray foam, what else can I use?
How's it going,
I can't tell you for sure if the spray foam would work. I have never used it for that purpose. My only concern would be how it holds up over time.
If you decide to go that route, be careful. Use the foam that does not expand. If you use the expandable and are not careful, it will bulge up your sill causing a huge problem.
There are 2 ways you can handle this.
1) place shims under sill about every 4 or 5 inches and cut flush.
2) If you have a table saw, cut a wedge to fill gap.
After doing either one of these, run a nice bead of caulk to seal the gap. Use a very good grade of siliconized latex caulk.
Silicone works great but is harder to work with.
Make sure your surfaces are clean and dust free.
Thanks for stopping and good luck
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- 15 Fast Fixes for Your Home Facade
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers