THE PROBLEM COULD BE COMING FROM A COUPLE OF DIFFERENT PLACES. SOME THINGS TO CHECK FOR COULD BE; USE A 2' LEVEL AND PLACE IT ON THE WINDOW SILL, IF THE WINDOW IS LEVEL THEN THE BULB SEAL( A PC. OF WEATHERSTRIP ON THE BOTTOM OF THE BOTTOM SASH ) WILL BE ABLE TO FORM A WEATHER TIGHT SEAL, IF THE WINDOW IS OUT OF LEVEL, THE BULB SEAL IS NOT BEING ALLOWED TO PERFORM. CHECK THE SEAL BETWEEN THE GLASS AND THE SASH FRAME, THESE WINDOWS ARE MASS PRODUCED LIKE JUST ABOUT EVERYTHING, WITH LITTLE TO NO QUALITY CONTROL. IF THEYARE VINYL WINDOWS, THEY WILL NORMALLY HAVE A GASKET LIKE SEAL BETWEEN THE GLASS AND THE FRAME, IN SOME CASES SILICONE WILL BE USED IN ADDITION ON THE EXTERIOR. MANY TIMES YOU CAN FIND VOIDS IN THE SILICONE WHICH ALLOWS THE WEATHER AND WATER TO GET TO THE GASKET OR SASH TAPE ( WHICH IS BASICALLY A SINGLE OR SOMETIMES DOUBLE SIDED FOAM TAPE) CAUSING IT TO DRYROT AND ALLOW WATER TO PASS FREELY. THE WINDOW MANUFACTURE IS NOT ALWAYS TO BLAME, THE WINDOW IS ONLY AS GOOD AS IT IS INSTALLED. BULB SEAL IS AVALIBLE IN DIFFERENT SIZES, USUALLY FROM THE WINDOW COMPANY, IF YOUR WINDOWS ARE NOT INSTALLED LEVEL, A LARGER BULB SEAL WILL HELP TO CLOSE THE GAPS.
Just got off of the phone with MW and of course they denied any warranty after 10yrs on the windows. Has anyone had any luck? They gave me the name of the warranty boss, Cale David email@example.com I have not contacted him as yet(not optimistic)We put an addtion on the house 5 years ago and used MW unaware of the rotting issue in the original windows. Someone mentioned a class action lawsuit, has that happened? Thanks
He will have you running endless circles, taking photos of all your windows both inside and out, asking technical questions you cannot possibly answer. My perception was his job was to wear you down. We still have no resolution.
The MW repair man is here as we speak replacing 3 picture windows whose seals have broken. They have replaced 26 sashes that have leaked which might address the water problem where the glass goes into the wooden "frame" of the window but I don't know if that will address all the water that has damaged my sills at the corners and the trim work just above it. He did 'beef up' the stripping so hopefully all of this will work. MW has been extremely nice as has been the service tech.
Thanks Spoondrift! I also recieved an email reply from MW so I'll keep my fingers crossed. I'll let all know what happens.
im not sure who gave that info out but mw windows makes the glass at the plant themselves at the same time the frame and sash is made and put together there after its all been made
i am very sorry to see all these postings. i also have over 35 windows in my home and am having the exact same problems. Just trying to get information on how you are handling this situation. thanks
All need to check out this site. Seems you might not have to much time left to get use of the warranty. 1 billion in debt. Does not look good.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- World's Most Amazing Slip 'N Slide
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 11 Big Ideas for Small Kitchens
- 5 Things to Do with... Colanders
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in a Day
- Easy DIY Fixes for 11 Annoying House Problems
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Make Good Use of Old Junk: 14 Creative Ideas
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- 10 Smart Solutions for Small Bedrooms
- 5 DIY Porch Swings Perfect for Summer
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps