I had an open wood burning fire place for years and used without any issues.
I have recently purchased a Montlake 230 fireplace insert in which have installed as per recommendation.
I installed a 18" long x 6" vent on top of the insert as a minimum as per manufacture, I did not run the vent pipe to the top of the chimney.
The unit has since been installed and a small fire was built in the unit. While the front door is open the fire burns great but when the front door is closed and the dampner on the insert is in the wide open position the fire goes out.
The issue seems to be draft, on the front of the fireplace wall is bricked in which the joints were raked during construction. when the insert is in operation we can feel a draft in everyone of the grooves in the brick behind the surround panels, could we be losing draft in these areas and not allowing the air flow through the insert dampner to sustain the fire with the door closed, and if so what to I need to seal off these areas with?
How much to build a fireplace?
Adding gas line to wood burning fireplace as log sta...
Prefab Metal Zero Clearance Fireplace
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes