I had an open wood burning fire place for years and used without any issues.
I have recently purchased a Montlake 230 fireplace insert in which have installed as per recommendation.
I installed a 18" long x 6" vent on top of the insert as a minimum as per manufacture, I did not run the vent pipe to the top of the chimney.
The unit has since been installed and a small fire was built in the unit. While the front door is open the fire burns great but when the front door is closed and the dampner on the insert is in the wide open position the fire goes out.
The issue seems to be draft, on the front of the fireplace wall is bricked in which the joints were raked during construction. when the insert is in operation we can feel a draft in everyone of the grooves in the brick behind the surround panels, could we be losing draft in these areas and not allowing the air flow through the insert dampner to sustain the fire with the door closed, and if so what to I need to seal off these areas with?
How much to build a fireplace?
Adding gas line to wood burning fireplace as log sta...
Prefab Metal Zero Clearance Fireplace
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps