I had an open wood burning fire place for years and used without any issues.
I have recently purchased a Montlake 230 fireplace insert in which have installed as per recommendation.
I installed a 18" long x 6" vent on top of the insert as a minimum as per manufacture, I did not run the vent pipe to the top of the chimney.
The unit has since been installed and a small fire was built in the unit. While the front door is open the fire burns great but when the front door is closed and the dampner on the insert is in the wide open position the fire goes out.
The issue seems to be draft, on the front of the fireplace wall is bricked in which the joints were raked during construction. when the insert is in operation we can feel a draft in everyone of the grooves in the brick behind the surround panels, could we be losing draft in these areas and not allowing the air flow through the insert dampner to sustain the fire with the door closed, and if so what to I need to seal off these areas with?
How much to build a fireplace?
Adding gas line to wood burning fireplace as log sta...
Prefab Metal Zero Clearance Fireplace
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 10 “Stone Sober” Household Uses for Liquor
- 10 Plant Containers to Make with Everyday Items
- 15 Spring Home Maintenance Musts
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Easy Ways to Revitalize Outdoor Furniture
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Wow-Worthy Window Films: 11 Top Picks
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Air Quality
- 10 Ingenious Home Uses for Baking Soda