I had an open wood burning fire place for years and used without any issues.
I have recently purchased a Montlake 230 fireplace insert in which have installed as per recommendation.
I installed a 18" long x 6" vent on top of the insert as a minimum as per manufacture, I did not run the vent pipe to the top of the chimney.
The unit has since been installed and a small fire was built in the unit. While the front door is open the fire burns great but when the front door is closed and the dampner on the insert is in the wide open position the fire goes out.
The issue seems to be draft, on the front of the fireplace wall is bricked in which the joints were raked during construction. when the insert is in operation we can feel a draft in everyone of the grooves in the brick behind the surround panels, could we be losing draft in these areas and not allowing the air flow through the insert dampner to sustain the fire with the door closed, and if so what to I need to seal off these areas with?
How much to build a fireplace?
Adding gas line to wood burning fireplace as log sta...
Prefab Metal Zero Clearance Fireplace
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 9 Ways to Extend Patio Season into Fall
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs