I had an open wood burning fire place for years and used without any issues.
I have recently purchased a Montlake 230 fireplace insert in which have installed as per recommendation.
I installed a 18" long x 6" vent on top of the insert as a minimum as per manufacture, I did not run the vent pipe to the top of the chimney.
The unit has since been installed and a small fire was built in the unit. While the front door is open the fire burns great but when the front door is closed and the dampner on the insert is in the wide open position the fire goes out.
The issue seems to be draft, on the front of the fireplace wall is bricked in which the joints were raked during construction. when the insert is in operation we can feel a draft in everyone of the grooves in the brick behind the surround panels, could we be losing draft in these areas and not allowing the air flow through the insert dampner to sustain the fire with the door closed, and if so what to I need to seal off these areas with?
How much to build a fireplace?
Adding gas line to wood burning fireplace as log sta...
Prefab Metal Zero Clearance Fireplace
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 11 Ways to Dress Up Your Dresser
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- Facade Facelift: Simple, Affordable Ways to Make a Better First Impression
- Reconsider Aboveground Pools: 10 Reasons Why
- 5 New Uses for Old Wooden Crates
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Make Your Own Bookcase: 10 DIY Designs