My husband and I live in a 7-year-old condo building that is three stories high. We live in a 2nd floor unit. We finally decided to label our breaker box. In the course of that testing, we found 5 breakers that don't seem to be connected to anything in our apartment. We also have about 3 random outlets and one ceiling lighting fixture that didn't seem to correlate with any of our breakers (they never turned off while we were testing breakers). Before I assume that the initial electrician really messed up the wiring, I thought I would ask if there is any reason why someone might install "extraneous" breakers.
We have them all in the "off" position at the moment hoping that over the course of the next few days we might run across something we overlooked and have an "a-ha" moment. Our fear is that somehow our "unused" breakers actually might have fixtures from a neighbor's apartment wired into them and the outlets/fixture for which we could not identify a breaker are wired into a neighbor's breaker box. Is that possible or would you REALLY have to mess up wiring to do something like that?
Thanks for any advice.
one of the individual parts of our tandem breaker keeps tripping and we are having a tough time finding a replacement (house built in 64)the googled replacements are too big to fit in the slot. There appears to be another tandem slot that is not connected to anything (it is not marked and when we did the off/on test to mark all the breakers again it did not seem to effect anything. Can I switch the bad one with the "idle" one?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!