Two questions regarding sealing concrete block: I've got a building built with split-face concrete block (pink, rough textured stuff). It's apparently not sealed, because whenever it rains, the wall soaks up water and becomes discolored. I've had problems with it transmitting water to the interior - there's basically nothing there except for the block, fiberglass insulation, then drywall.
Is there a product that's better than others for sealing the exterior of the wall? Preferably something easily obtainable that doesn't require extensive prep - acid cleaning or whatever. I've found these:
OKON S-20: www.okoninc.com/productPg-S20.asp
RainGuard MicroSeal: www.rainguard.com/product/micro-seal-multi-surface
NewLook DriveHard: www.getnewlook.com/About-DriveHard.html#anchor_100
NewLoock Proteshield: www.getnewlook.com/ProteShield.html
Good Ole' Thompson Waterseal: www.thompsonswaterseal.com/waterproofing-products/multisurface-waterproofers/clear-multi-surface-waterproofer
I believe the first three are silane/siloxane based and Proteshield is "elastomeric" something or other. All claim to be "breathable". They're all available at Home Depot, but as far as choosing one, I'd basically be picking at random. Has anyone had experience with these products?
Q2) This same block has been used to build a retaining wall around my back yard. I don't have access to the far side of the wall, and in one case, the adjoining yard is at the level of the top of the wall - so when it rains, there's wet earth up against the far side of the wall.
Should I bother sealing the wall, or would I be doing more harm than good, as water will get in from the far side, and then be trapped inside the block?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love