I'm considering finishing a portion of unfinished basement in my condo to use as a band practice space, but I'd also like to use it as a bedroom in the future. Currently most of the basement is finished, with an unfinished portion in the back where the mechanicals (furnace, water heater, electric box) are located. For sound isolation purposes, I intend to build a room within that space that is connected only to the slab. I will use two layers of drywall on the inside with green glue between them. Fiberglass insulation will be used within the 2x4 stud cavity.
There is currently a supply duct from the furnace in that space, but there is no visible return. I plan to use that supply for the new sealed space using winding flex duct and maybe a baffle of some sort. I'm not sure what to do for a return, or if I should just create a baffled vent into the remaining mechanical space.
My other question is regarding the possibility of calling this a bedroom. The basement itself is not very far below grade. There are large windows on the front of the space which would definitely qualify as an egress. There is a full bathroom as well. So the basement itself could probably qualify as a bedroom. I'm just wondering how this would change the square finished footage and bedroom count for the condo. Also, I'm wondering if there are any other impacts this might have on the HVAC, Codes, etc.
Any thoughts about my soundproofing technique, or things I may not be considering about closing off this space? I'm trying to make the room as large as possible, but keep the sound isolated as well as possible. I attached a drawing of the basement. I appreciate any advice.
What goes on basement floor?
family room and finish basement
Can I use faced/vapor barrier insulation in interior...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes