I'm considering finishing a portion of unfinished basement in my condo to use as a band practice space, but I'd also like to use it as a bedroom in the future. Currently most of the basement is finished, with an unfinished portion in the back where the mechanicals (furnace, water heater, electric box) are located. For sound isolation purposes, I intend to build a room within that space that is connected only to the slab. I will use two layers of drywall on the inside with green glue between them. Fiberglass insulation will be used within the 2x4 stud cavity.
There is currently a supply duct from the furnace in that space, but there is no visible return. I plan to use that supply for the new sealed space using winding flex duct and maybe a baffle of some sort. I'm not sure what to do for a return, or if I should just create a baffled vent into the remaining mechanical space.
My other question is regarding the possibility of calling this a bedroom. The basement itself is not very far below grade. There are large windows on the front of the space which would definitely qualify as an egress. There is a full bathroom as well. So the basement itself could probably qualify as a bedroom. I'm just wondering how this would change the square finished footage and bedroom count for the condo. Also, I'm wondering if there are any other impacts this might have on the HVAC, Codes, etc.
Any thoughts about my soundproofing technique, or things I may not be considering about closing off this space? I'm trying to make the room as large as possible, but keep the sound isolated as well as possible. I attached a drawing of the basement. I appreciate any advice.
What goes on basement floor?
family room and finish basement
Can I use faced/vapor barrier insulation in interior...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- DIY Plumbing Pipe Vase
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 5 Easy and Creative DIY Lamps