I applied 2 coats of paint and primer and let dry for 2 days. I then applied a coat of spray on polyurethane , satin finish. After it dried some areas were yellow. I then sanded it down and applied another coat of my color, let that dry 2 more days. I bought a can of minwax satin finish polyurethane and applied 2 coats. Again there are yellow areas. I have down several painting projects and this is the first time I have had this problem.
What caused it and what should I do now to get rid of the yellow areas?
Oil-based polyurethane causes yellowing of white paint. It looks like the Minwax Satin Finish Polyurethane might be oil based, true? If so, I'd sand it down again (annoying, but necessary) and try again with a water-based poly. Then again, you might do well to just paint a few coats of satin finish paint instead of poly it, depending on what you're painting/what color you're using but that won't protect well if it gets a lot of use. Hope that helps!
The polyurethane was actually water based, not oil. I think i will just sand and apply several more coats of the color. If you have other suggestions I;m open. Thanks Sandy
Oh—it is water-based after all? Well, I'm stumped. I know white paint can be picky about polyurethane but don't have personal experience working around it. Anyway, if you find something that works, share the knowledge.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects