I applied 2 coats of paint and primer and let dry for 2 days. I then applied a coat of spray on polyurethane , satin finish. After it dried some areas were yellow. I then sanded it down and applied another coat of my color, let that dry 2 more days. I bought a can of minwax satin finish polyurethane and applied 2 coats. Again there are yellow areas. I have down several painting projects and this is the first time I have had this problem.
What caused it and what should I do now to get rid of the yellow areas?
Oil-based polyurethane causes yellowing of white paint. It looks like the Minwax Satin Finish Polyurethane might be oil based, true? If so, I'd sand it down again (annoying, but necessary) and try again with a water-based poly. Then again, you might do well to just paint a few coats of satin finish paint instead of poly it, depending on what you're painting/what color you're using but that won't protect well if it gets a lot of use. Hope that helps!
The polyurethane was actually water based, not oil. I think i will just sand and apply several more coats of the color. If you have other suggestions I;m open. Thanks Sandy
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes