I applied 2 coats of paint and primer and let dry for 2 days. I then applied a coat of spray on polyurethane , satin finish. After it dried some areas were yellow. I then sanded it down and applied another coat of my color, let that dry 2 more days. I bought a can of minwax satin finish polyurethane and applied 2 coats. Again there are yellow areas. I have down several painting projects and this is the first time I have had this problem.
What caused it and what should I do now to get rid of the yellow areas?
Oil-based polyurethane causes yellowing of white paint. It looks like the Minwax Satin Finish Polyurethane might be oil based, true? If so, I'd sand it down again (annoying, but necessary) and try again with a water-based poly. Then again, you might do well to just paint a few coats of satin finish paint instead of poly it, depending on what you're painting/what color you're using but that won't protect well if it gets a lot of use. Hope that helps!
The polyurethane was actually water based, not oil. I think i will just sand and apply several more coats of the color. If you have other suggestions I;m open. Thanks Sandy
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!