I applied 2 coats of paint and primer and let dry for 2 days. I then applied a coat of spray on polyurethane , satin finish. After it dried some areas were yellow. I then sanded it down and applied another coat of my color, let that dry 2 more days. I bought a can of minwax satin finish polyurethane and applied 2 coats. Again there are yellow areas. I have down several painting projects and this is the first time I have had this problem.
What caused it and what should I do now to get rid of the yellow areas?
Oil-based polyurethane causes yellowing of white paint. It looks like the Minwax Satin Finish Polyurethane might be oil based, true? If so, I'd sand it down again (annoying, but necessary) and try again with a water-based poly. Then again, you might do well to just paint a few coats of satin finish paint instead of poly it, depending on what you're painting/what color you're using but that won't protect well if it gets a lot of use. Hope that helps!
The polyurethane was actually water based, not oil. I think i will just sand and apply several more coats of the color. If you have other suggestions I;m open. Thanks Sandy
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!