I recently purchased an evaporative cooler to mount on the roof. my original intent was to run the duct work from the cooler to where my existing whole house fan is located(central to the house). I would remove the fan and install new register box and difuser (significantly smaller than the cut out for the whole house fan mind you.) Afting thinking about it for a bit, i was curious if leaving the whole house fan in place may be an alright option. It doesn't cool the house that well, but helps get hot air out of the attic. my other option is to install up-dux in each room. So the questions is, what are the pros and cons of either removing the house fan and installing duct from evap cooler to its current location, or leaving in place and installing duct work next to whole house fan.
I ended up leaving the house fan in. On days where the temp is cool in the morning, i use the house fan to get inside temps down. When outside temps are higher than my comfort level (70F), my evap cooler kicks on and takes care of business. Yesterday it was 97 outside and 69 inside! I love it. I also used the whole house fan for short periods of time while the evap cooler is running to purge the hot attic air with cool air and that has made a huge difference on the temps in the upstairs rooms. attic temps were ranging in the 120-150F range and now are in the 90s.
Installing Drywall, should I keep the lathe or remov...
Installing Cedar Siding Shingles - Couple Questions
Vinyl Replacement Window Installation
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes