I recently purchased an evaporative cooler to mount on the roof. my original intent was to run the duct work from the cooler to where my existing whole house fan is located(central to the house). I would remove the fan and install new register box and difuser (significantly smaller than the cut out for the whole house fan mind you.) Afting thinking about it for a bit, i was curious if leaving the whole house fan in place may be an alright option. It doesn't cool the house that well, but helps get hot air out of the attic. my other option is to install up-dux in each room. So the questions is, what are the pros and cons of either removing the house fan and installing duct from evap cooler to its current location, or leaving in place and installing duct work next to whole house fan.
I ended up leaving the house fan in. On days where the temp is cool in the morning, i use the house fan to get inside temps down. When outside temps are higher than my comfort level (70F), my evap cooler kicks on and takes care of business. Yesterday it was 97 outside and 69 inside! I love it. I also used the whole house fan for short periods of time while the evap cooler is running to purge the hot attic air with cool air and that has made a huge difference on the temps in the upstairs rooms. attic temps were ranging in the 120-150F range and now are in the 90s.
Installing Drywall, should I keep the lathe or remov...
Installing Cedar Siding Shingles - Couple Questions
Vinyl Replacement Window Installation
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!