I recently purchased an evaporative cooler to mount on the roof. my original intent was to run the duct work from the cooler to where my existing whole house fan is located(central to the house). I would remove the fan and install new register box and difuser (significantly smaller than the cut out for the whole house fan mind you.) Afting thinking about it for a bit, i was curious if leaving the whole house fan in place may be an alright option. It doesn't cool the house that well, but helps get hot air out of the attic. my other option is to install up-dux in each room. So the questions is, what are the pros and cons of either removing the house fan and installing duct from evap cooler to its current location, or leaving in place and installing duct work next to whole house fan.
I ended up leaving the house fan in. On days where the temp is cool in the morning, i use the house fan to get inside temps down. When outside temps are higher than my comfort level (70F), my evap cooler kicks on and takes care of business. Yesterday it was 97 outside and 69 inside! I love it. I also used the whole house fan for short periods of time while the evap cooler is running to purge the hot attic air with cool air and that has made a huge difference on the temps in the upstairs rooms. attic temps were ranging in the 120-150F range and now are in the 90s.
Installing Drywall, should I keep the lathe or remov...
Installing Cedar Siding Shingles - Couple Questions
Vinyl Replacement Window Installation
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!