I have a very, very small cottage, built prior to WWII, sitting just steps away from the Atlantic shoreline, in northern Florida. I have never before owned oceanfront property, and to put it mildly, it is a constant learning experience. The wind, the sand, the salt, the humidity . . it requires DAILY attention to everything, and it's still a losing battle against the elements.
It's wood sided, and sits about 2' off the sand on concrete blocks. I've owned it for 25 years, and have had to repaint it about every 5 years. It's time to paint again, and looking for some advice before I begin this big job.
The house has always been painted a high gloss white. Initially I painted with Porter for years, then 2 years ago I used Glidden, and what a disaster that has been.
The nails rust continuously - they only last about 6 weeks after painting/touch-ups before they start showing their orange heads again. Mold is a continuous problem too. And of course all the outside porch lights disintegrate, even steel & aluminum, so I've just given up and replace them with inexpensive ones from a discount store every couple of years.
As for the paint . . a local painter recommended Sherwin-Williams Loxon XP, but everything I've read says it's not for painting wood. He wants to pressure wash the house, clean the nail heads, use an oil-based primer, then spray & backroll the Loxon XP. One coat primer, one coat Loxon.
Another painter recommended same thing, only instead of Loxon XP, wants to use 2 top coats of Kilz Casual Colors in High Gloss Ultra Bright White.
Any one have any recommendations as to a different brand of paint that can stand up to the harsh environment of the coastline? Rust? Mold? Peeling/Cracking? Longevity?
Go with the painter who recommended the Loxon XP by Sherwin Williams. Its Florida on the coast, doesnt get much harsher than that! Porter was a good choice just no longer in business. What possesed you to use Glidden! Of course it failed! Outside of SW you might try Ben Moores exterior product! Good Luck and with all these paints you need to repaint every 5 years.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Ways to Use Salvaged Wood in Your Home
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- Decked Out: 12 Innovative Outdoor Living Designs
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 8 (Truly) Unexpected Storage Spots
- 12 Celebrities' Cool Pools
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Colorful Kitchens: 10 Bright & Bold Designs