I have a very, very small cottage, built prior to WWII, sitting just steps away from the Atlantic shoreline, in northern Florida. I have never before owned oceanfront property, and to put it mildly, it is a constant learning experience. The wind, the sand, the salt, the humidity . . it requires DAILY attention to everything, and it's still a losing battle against the elements.
It's wood sided, and sits about 2' off the sand on concrete blocks. I've owned it for 25 years, and have had to repaint it about every 5 years. It's time to paint again, and looking for some advice before I begin this big job.
The house has always been painted a high gloss white. Initially I painted with Porter for years, then 2 years ago I used Glidden, and what a disaster that has been.
The nails rust continuously - they only last about 6 weeks after painting/touch-ups before they start showing their orange heads again. Mold is a continuous problem too. And of course all the outside porch lights disintegrate, even steel & aluminum, so I've just given up and replace them with inexpensive ones from a discount store every couple of years.
As for the paint . . a local painter recommended Sherwin-Williams Loxon XP, but everything I've read says it's not for painting wood. He wants to pressure wash the house, clean the nail heads, use an oil-based primer, then spray & backroll the Loxon XP. One coat primer, one coat Loxon.
Another painter recommended same thing, only instead of Loxon XP, wants to use 2 top coats of Kilz Casual Colors in High Gloss Ultra Bright White.
Any one have any recommendations as to a different brand of paint that can stand up to the harsh environment of the coastline? Rust? Mold? Peeling/Cracking? Longevity?
Go with the painter who recommended the Loxon XP by Sherwin Williams. Its Florida on the coast, doesnt get much harsher than that! Porter was a good choice just no longer in business. What possesed you to use Glidden! Of course it failed! Outside of SW you might try Ben Moores exterior product! Good Luck and with all these paints you need to repaint every 5 years.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 5 Things to Do With...Old Rakes
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 8 Great DIY Ways to Use Cinder Blocks
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Perfect Projects
- 8 Countertops You'd Never Believe Were Handmade
- 9 Handy Uses for Your Cordless Drill/Driver
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Design Inspirations for Your Small Bedroom
- Deck the Doors: 10 Wreaths for Autumn Decorating
- 7 Tools to Wage War Against Leaves
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY