I have a very, very small cottage, built prior to WWII, sitting just steps away from the Atlantic shoreline, in northern Florida. I have never before owned oceanfront property, and to put it mildly, it is a constant learning experience. The wind, the sand, the salt, the humidity . . it requires DAILY attention to everything, and it's still a losing battle against the elements.
It's wood sided, and sits about 2' off the sand on concrete blocks. I've owned it for 25 years, and have had to repaint it about every 5 years. It's time to paint again, and looking for some advice before I begin this big job.
The house has always been painted a high gloss white. Initially I painted with Porter for years, then 2 years ago I used Glidden, and what a disaster that has been.
The nails rust continuously - they only last about 6 weeks after painting/touch-ups before they start showing their orange heads again. Mold is a continuous problem too. And of course all the outside porch lights disintegrate, even steel & aluminum, so I've just given up and replace them with inexpensive ones from a discount store every couple of years.
As for the paint . . a local painter recommended Sherwin-Williams Loxon XP, but everything I've read says it's not for painting wood. He wants to pressure wash the house, clean the nail heads, use an oil-based primer, then spray & backroll the Loxon XP. One coat primer, one coat Loxon.
Another painter recommended same thing, only instead of Loxon XP, wants to use 2 top coats of Kilz Casual Colors in High Gloss Ultra Bright White.
Any one have any recommendations as to a different brand of paint that can stand up to the harsh environment of the coastline? Rust? Mold? Peeling/Cracking? Longevity?
Go with the painter who recommended the Loxon XP by Sherwin Williams. Its Florida on the coast, doesnt get much harsher than that! Porter was a good choice just no longer in business. What possesed you to use Glidden! Of course it failed! Outside of SW you might try Ben Moores exterior product! Good Luck and with all these paints you need to repaint every 5 years.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Clearing the Air: 10 Natural Ways to Remedy Household Odors
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs