I live in an ancient 1961 mobile home in Florida. An equally large square footage was added onto this home and has a cement floor. Added onto this was a large lanai also with cement flooring. Sometimes rainwater seeps into the lanai area, but it has never reached the center "room".
I would like to make my place safer as regards tornadoes, tropical storms, and hurricanes. I am wondering if it would be possible to build a small/tiny cinder block house within the walls of the middle "room" which already has a cement floor.
I am not permitted to build a real house on my property as it is zoned for manufactured homes, but the property is mine and
, if it were possible to have a small cinder block house within the confines of the central area; I would feel much safer about living here.
Is this a possibility and would it create a building sufficiently strong to weather severe winds? Thank you.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!