- Forum >
- Plumbing >
- Leak in tub overflow to ceiling in living room below, will beams dry? mold? need professional?
Leak in tub overflow to ceiling in living room below, will beams dry? mold? need professional?
Help! Will mold grow in my walls? Do I need to make a hole? Professional? Four days ago I let my bath water run too long (~45mins @~2 gallons/min). Nothing spilled over, but water was dripping frm the ceiling in living room below the tub (probably leak in the overflow)! The dripping mostly followed a beam/edge (not a corner) & spanned ~3.5ft in length, 2in in width. I put several small holes in the drywall to speed dripping. The very thin drywall along the edge was slightly crumbly; the dripping (~2 gallons total) stopped within ~20mins. I rented a dehumidifier & purchased a moisture meter 6hrs later. Readings along the beams in that area & w/in 2ft diameter were 26-32%; readings were no more than 19% along beams/edges elsewhere in the house. After running dehumidifier 48hrs & waiting an additional 36hrs, readings are 17% where I poked holes, but still 29% along beam 3ft frm the holes. No staining/bulging, but 2 very thin 10in cracks near holes Note: live in SoCal=low humidity? Thanks!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!