- Forum >
- Plumbing >
- Leak in tub overflow to ceiling in living room below, will beams dry? mold? need professional?
Leak in tub overflow to ceiling in living room below, will beams dry? mold? need professional?
Help! Will mold grow in my walls? Do I need to make a hole? Professional? Four days ago I let my bath water run too long (~45mins @~2 gallons/min). Nothing spilled over, but water was dripping frm the ceiling in living room below the tub (probably leak in the overflow)! The dripping mostly followed a beam/edge (not a corner) & spanned ~3.5ft in length, 2in in width. I put several small holes in the drywall to speed dripping. The very thin drywall along the edge was slightly crumbly; the dripping (~2 gallons total) stopped within ~20mins. I rented a dehumidifier & purchased a moisture meter 6hrs later. Readings along the beams in that area & w/in 2ft diameter were 26-32%; readings were no more than 19% along beams/edges elsewhere in the house. After running dehumidifier 48hrs & waiting an additional 36hrs, readings are 17% where I poked holes, but still 29% along beam 3ft frm the holes. No staining/bulging, but 2 very thin 10in cracks near holes Note: live in SoCal=low humidity? Thanks!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!