- Forum >
- Plumbing >
- Leak in tub overflow to ceiling in living room below, will beams dry? mold? need professional?
Leak in tub overflow to ceiling in living room below, will beams dry? mold? need professional?
Help! Will mold grow in my walls? Do I need to make a hole? Professional? Four days ago I let my bath water run too long (~45mins @~2 gallons/min). Nothing spilled over, but water was dripping frm the ceiling in living room below the tub (probably leak in the overflow)! The dripping mostly followed a beam/edge (not a corner) & spanned ~3.5ft in length, 2in in width. I put several small holes in the drywall to speed dripping. The very thin drywall along the edge was slightly crumbly; the dripping (~2 gallons total) stopped within ~20mins. I rented a dehumidifier & purchased a moisture meter 6hrs later. Readings along the beams in that area & w/in 2ft diameter were 26-32%; readings were no more than 19% along beams/edges elsewhere in the house. After running dehumidifier 48hrs & waiting an additional 36hrs, readings are 17% where I poked holes, but still 29% along beam 3ft frm the holes. No staining/bulging, but 2 very thin 10in cracks near holes Note: live in SoCal=low humidity? Thanks!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes