I am a new homeowner and reasonably experienced in the various trades. (I.E. I've worked as labor for just about every trade I can think of) I'm completely confident that I can install windows myself but I'm completely lost when it comes to actually *getting* the windows. How do I shop for prices on windows without going thru the irritating salespeople? Do any of the manufacturers have actual online prices/ordering/shipping? All I seem to get are offers for someone to come install windows and promises that they'll do the absolute best job. I don't want to go to the giant box home improvement center but they seem to be the only people straightforward enough to display the windows they have and the prices they sell them at. Any advice?
I go to one of 12 lumber yards here. I call them and find the one that sells the brand of windows I want to buy. I go in and talk to the salesman get the information. Go home get the measurements and order the units I want. If they insist on measuring the opening I let them. I make them prove they have the right measurements and the right model and quantity before it gets order.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 7 DIY Ways to Reuse a 5-Gal Bucket
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!