I am a new homeowner and reasonably experienced in the various trades. (I.E. I've worked as labor for just about every trade I can think of) I'm completely confident that I can install windows myself but I'm completely lost when it comes to actually *getting* the windows. How do I shop for prices on windows without going thru the irritating salespeople? Do any of the manufacturers have actual online prices/ordering/shipping? All I seem to get are offers for someone to come install windows and promises that they'll do the absolute best job. I don't want to go to the giant box home improvement center but they seem to be the only people straightforward enough to display the windows they have and the prices they sell them at. Any advice?
I go to one of 12 lumber yards here. I call them and find the one that sells the brand of windows I want to buy. I go in and talk to the salesman get the information. Go home get the measurements and order the units I want. If they insist on measuring the opening I let them. I make them prove they have the right measurements and the right model and quantity before it gets order.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes