I am a new homeowner and reasonably experienced in the various trades. (I.E. I've worked as labor for just about every trade I can think of) I'm completely confident that I can install windows myself but I'm completely lost when it comes to actually *getting* the windows. How do I shop for prices on windows without going thru the irritating salespeople? Do any of the manufacturers have actual online prices/ordering/shipping? All I seem to get are offers for someone to come install windows and promises that they'll do the absolute best job. I don't want to go to the giant box home improvement center but they seem to be the only people straightforward enough to display the windows they have and the prices they sell them at. Any advice?
I go to one of 12 lumber yards here. I call them and find the one that sells the brand of windows I want to buy. I go in and talk to the salesman get the information. Go home get the measurements and order the units I want. If they insist on measuring the opening I let them. I make them prove they have the right measurements and the right model and quantity before it gets order.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!