I am a new homeowner and reasonably experienced in the various trades. (I.E. I've worked as labor for just about every trade I can think of) I'm completely confident that I can install windows myself but I'm completely lost when it comes to actually *getting* the windows. How do I shop for prices on windows without going thru the irritating salespeople? Do any of the manufacturers have actual online prices/ordering/shipping? All I seem to get are offers for someone to come install windows and promises that they'll do the absolute best job. I don't want to go to the giant box home improvement center but they seem to be the only people straightforward enough to display the windows they have and the prices they sell them at. Any advice?
I go to one of 12 lumber yards here. I call them and find the one that sells the brand of windows I want to buy. I go in and talk to the salesman get the information. Go home get the measurements and order the units I want. If they insist on measuring the opening I let them. I make them prove they have the right measurements and the right model and quantity before it gets order.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Recipe for Success: 10 Easy Kitchen Storage Hacks
- Winning Combinations: 9 "Can't Miss" Color Schemes
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- The Ultimate All-Natural Cleaning Guide