I have an older brick 2-story home with wooden double-pane sash windows.....to make a long story short, some of them have moderate damage to them due to rot...especially in the areas of the frames on the outside where they make contact with the sills (as well as the sills themselves). All of them have glazing that is old and cracked and falling off of the panes as well and there are cracks between the areas where the surface of the window contacts the brick on the house.
I would like to significantly improve their energy efficiency before the onset of winter appears again. Obviously, they need new glazing....but what can I do about the rotten wood in the frames and in the sills?.....and what can I use to fill in the cracks around the windows themselves where they contact the brick?...
Thanks in advance and any other weatherproofing tips that you can offer on wooden windows would be helpful as well!..
The validity of the “ice test” in testing the integr...
double pane windows
hole in new doublepane window
Any way to further soundproof Existing Double pane w...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!