I have a 15-25 foot well that provided a lot of water yesterday with my old 1/2 hp Gould pump. Yesterday I replaced it with a brand new 1hp Craftsman shallow jet pump and I cannot get it to prime. Note: Even though I had disconnected and connected the old pump a few times form the well line, I didn't need to add water to the line leading to the well when I was using the old pump yesterday and was still getting a prime, so not sure why it would be a problem with the new pump, although they are different pumps. The old ½ hp pump would prime and draw water but was getting old so I wanted to replace it.
After installing the new pump, I filled it with water and I even filled the pipe leading down to the well with water. I added a lot of water to the line leading from the well but it never completely filled up that I could tell so I’m not sure if I need to keep adding water or not. As I mentioned earlier, I didn’t even worry about adding water to the old pump and it primed okay. I have a check valve (new) installed just before the pump on the line coming from the well. The arrow on the valve is pointing to the pump as it should. When I turn on the pump the PSI doesn't rise over 15 and I don't get water to draw from the well. The pump has a 40/60 switch that came with it. I also installed a new pressure tank that has 38psi when empty of water. Anyway, I ran the new pump for about 3-5 minutes with no success. I did this 3 different times. I’m afraid to burn the pump out. I filled the pump with water and tipped it towards the check valve to see if water was leaking out and nothing came out. Is this a viable test to see if the check valve is keeping water from going back down into the well line? Can you help?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!