I have a 15-25 foot well that provided a lot of water yesterday with my old 1/2 hp Gould pump. Yesterday I replaced it with a brand new 1hp Craftsman shallow jet pump and I cannot get it to prime. Note: Even though I had disconnected and connected the old pump a few times form the well line, I didn't need to add water to the line leading to the well when I was using the old pump yesterday and was still getting a prime, so not sure why it would be a problem with the new pump, although they are different pumps. The old ½ hp pump would prime and draw water but was getting old so I wanted to replace it.
After installing the new pump, I filled it with water and I even filled the pipe leading down to the well with water. I added a lot of water to the line leading from the well but it never completely filled up that I could tell so I’m not sure if I need to keep adding water or not. As I mentioned earlier, I didn’t even worry about adding water to the old pump and it primed okay. I have a check valve (new) installed just before the pump on the line coming from the well. The arrow on the valve is pointing to the pump as it should. When I turn on the pump the PSI doesn't rise over 15 and I don't get water to draw from the well. The pump has a 40/60 switch that came with it. I also installed a new pressure tank that has 38psi when empty of water. Anyway, I ran the new pump for about 3-5 minutes with no success. I did this 3 different times. I’m afraid to burn the pump out. I filled the pump with water and tipped it towards the check valve to see if water was leaking out and nothing came out. Is this a viable test to see if the check valve is keeping water from going back down into the well line? Can you help?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 21 Ways to Spring Clean—Naturally
- Show Off: 9 Ways to Display a Collection
- The Best Paint Colors for Low-Light Rooms
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 8 Clever Storage Solutions for Pots & Pans
- 8 Creative OTHER Ways to Use a Closet
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- 15 Eye-Catching Front Door Options
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!