I have a 15-25 foot well that provided a lot of water yesterday with my old 1/2 hp Gould pump. Yesterday I replaced it with a brand new 1hp Craftsman shallow jet pump and I cannot get it to prime. Note: Even though I had disconnected and connected the old pump a few times form the well line, I didn't need to add water to the line leading to the well when I was using the old pump yesterday and was still getting a prime, so not sure why it would be a problem with the new pump, although they are different pumps. The old ½ hp pump would prime and draw water but was getting old so I wanted to replace it.
After installing the new pump, I filled it with water and I even filled the pipe leading down to the well with water. I added a lot of water to the line leading from the well but it never completely filled up that I could tell so I’m not sure if I need to keep adding water or not. As I mentioned earlier, I didn’t even worry about adding water to the old pump and it primed okay. I have a check valve (new) installed just before the pump on the line coming from the well. The arrow on the valve is pointing to the pump as it should. When I turn on the pump the PSI doesn't rise over 15 and I don't get water to draw from the well. The pump has a 40/60 switch that came with it. I also installed a new pressure tank that has 38psi when empty of water. Anyway, I ran the new pump for about 3-5 minutes with no success. I did this 3 different times. I’m afraid to burn the pump out. I filled the pump with water and tipped it towards the check valve to see if water was leaking out and nothing came out. Is this a viable test to see if the check valve is keeping water from going back down into the well line? Can you help?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes