Hi. I know that bifold doors are sometimes used to separate two living spaces, but I can not find any discussion on opening/closing the door from the side that would normally be inside a closet. If it's done just by pushing on the middle of the door (opening) and by pulling on the edge of the door (closing), eventually the paint is going to wear. Is there anything out there designed for this situation? If not, has anyone tried anything on their own?
The doors that I have seen that are bi-fold and that separate 2 living spaces (vs. a closet) have handles on both sides. From the "closet" side you would simply use the handle and pull it to the side. The hardware will be the issue here - cheaper sets tend to bind, thus causing you to use a push to get the door open. Go higher-end to bypass this. You might also want to use a durable finish (marine-grade even) on the paint if you think that people will be pushing the door, thus causing your anticipated wear.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!