I recently installed a new Pella back entry door and storm door. My problem is the storm door only closes correctly as long as the interior door is open, or partialy open. If the interior door is closed, the storm stops before it latches. The storm has a top and bottom closer on it, but no setting, or combination of settings seem to work. I called Pella's customer service and a recording directed me to their web site. That was no help....so if anyone can help me with this it would be greatly appreciated!
What you are experiencing is the presence of a vacuum created between your storm door and interior door. That's what it's supposed to do as odd as it sounds. As you walk into your house, let the storm door close and latch first (it should do that once the interior door is open, as there is no longer any vacuum pressure to prevent the storm door from closing). Then close your interior door (you'll probably have to 'push' it closed due to the 'vacuum' created). When exiting the house, you close the interior door, and you'll have to push the storm door closed. This tells you that you have a good seal between the doors providing the insulation value you are looking for. This is also all proven by the fact when you put the screen in the door, there is no vacuum produced, and the storm door should close easily. The only way to relieve the pressure while the glass is in, is to raise the bottom door expander (I'm assuming there was one), allowing for air to escape when the doors close. This of course also results in lost insulating value in the winter. It's a trade off.
I have kids who constantly slam thier bedroom or bathroom doors, is there anyway to quiet the door slamming noise ? Your help in this matter will be greatly appreciated! Thank You for your time.
walterjackson, you should install a spring like system which will prevent the doors from being slammed with wall or anything else. It'll be better if you check
a contractor soon.
a contractor soon.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 10 Secret Rooms & Passages in Ordinary Homes
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers