Our light gray (Cape Cod gray) white cedar shingles, oil dipped, were on our house for eleven years. They were the highlight of our house, and were aging beautifully. Until yesterday, when someone came to clean the mildew off our roof. We told him what type of shingles we had, and he could see they were light gray. We asked him if his solution would harm our shingles. He said no. He knew of this type of product, and said they would be fine. We then asked if he could wash some green in the shaded side of our house. His solution ( we didn't know what it was at the time ) was bleach & water. He washed our whole house. When we got home, our beautiful gray shingles were now light yellow with a pink tint. Short of re-shingling our house, is there a product (transparent gray stain) that could put in these shingles to make them gray again? Our shingles were guaranteed not to darken or lose the gray color for decades. Is there is a product that would keep its color for decades? Or will we now have to stain our shingles often? What steps need to be taken prior to applying light gray stain? We are heartbroken :(. Any suggestion appreciated. Thank you.
- Forum >
- Roofing & Siding >
- Oil Dipped White Cedar shingles, tinted light Gray, accidentally bleached
I'm answering my own query. The shingle mfr. said the best thing to do is have out shingles hand brushed with Cabot's Weathering Stain in Silver Gray. Apparently he sprayed quite a way from our house ... losing bushes now too. He's avoiding us. Pics of all. Few more days ... then lawyer time. Groan.
Black dots on my white cedar shingles
Rust on Asphalt Shingles...Help!!!
Power Wash Cedar Barn Shakes Shingles What Power Mac...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects