Our light gray (Cape Cod gray) white cedar shingles, oil dipped, were on our house for eleven years. They were the highlight of our house, and were aging beautifully. Until yesterday, when someone came to clean the mildew off our roof. We told him what type of shingles we had, and he could see they were light gray. We asked him if his solution would harm our shingles. He said no. He knew of this type of product, and said they would be fine. We then asked if he could wash some green in the shaded side of our house. His solution ( we didn't know what it was at the time ) was bleach & water. He washed our whole house. When we got home, our beautiful gray shingles were now light yellow with a pink tint. Short of re-shingling our house, is there a product (transparent gray stain) that could put in these shingles to make them gray again? Our shingles were guaranteed not to darken or lose the gray color for decades. Is there is a product that would keep its color for decades? Or will we now have to stain our shingles often? What steps need to be taken prior to applying light gray stain? We are heartbroken :(. Any suggestion appreciated. Thank you.
- Forum >
- Roofing & Siding >
- Oil Dipped White Cedar shingles, tinted light Gray, accidentally bleached
I'm answering my own query. The shingle mfr. said the best thing to do is have out shingles hand brushed with Cabot's Weathering Stain in Silver Gray. Apparently he sprayed quite a way from our house ... losing bushes now too. He's avoiding us. Pics of all. Few more days ... then lawyer time. Groan.
Black dots on my white cedar shingles
Rust on Asphalt Shingles...Help!!!
Power Wash Cedar Barn Shakes Shingles What Power Mac...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!