My attached garage is a cold space below a bedroom. The second storey bedroom floor is heated by radiant floor heating. THis is basically hot water hoses attached under the floor using aluminum plates (seen in attached picture).
I need to insulate the ceiling and plan to use r20 batts 6 inches thick. My 2 questions: 1) how much of a space should I allow between the batt and hoses. I'm thinking just a few inches so would push batt up to bottom of top 2 x 4 of ceiling joist. 2) do I need a vapour barrier between the top of the batt and the hoses running between the joists. I think not given that its going to be a heated space but want to be sure. If I do need a barrier I'm unsure where/ how to install it.
A batt insulation would work best as if you ever had a leak it would show vs open cell spray foam ,, install the insulation with the foil facing up , and you need to pack out the ends of the beam space , creating a convection box ,, if you don't pack the ends all the heat will escape from there . I would not recommend a vapor barrier , however use due diligence choosing your wood and make sure it's compatible , as well as fully acclimated onsite.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!