I have 2 very nice windows that came with the house I bought that I am having a few issues with.
First off the windows are single hung (I guess thats the term they use), ~30x60 windows. They have a removable sash and when removed, this sash weighs close to 30 pounds. The problem I am having is that the sash will not stay up when I open it. The result is the window crashing down fairly fast when i let go. I did notice that when the sash is removed and turned, it sounds like there is sand or a similar material inside the frame of the sash. this may be where the added weight is coming from.
This window does not contain counterbalences. It does have pads that press against the window frame but these are useless because of the weight of the sash. They cannot be adjusted, unless i take them off and use spacers or similar materials under them to make them stick out more, but this only works as a temporary fix.
I guess the questions are;
Why is there a sand or similar material in the sash frame?
Is there a way to find out what brand or model window these are? They have no logos on them. There are numbers between the panes. Do these mean anything or can they be used to trace the window to a certain manufacturer and/or model?
Is there a way to adjust the tension to have the windows stay up on their own without the use of a board or box fan?
Currently the windows are great because the weight of the sash holds a box fan in place. Unfortunately it sucks if I just want to open the window without the fan. I don't want to rely on the stick because this is ruining the weatherstripping.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!