I need help figuring our what to do. My steel entry door has a fanlight and the molding has melted. We are selling the house and are looking for economical solutions.
The door is a Peachtree door with sidelights. Peachtree wants to charge $450 just to replace the molding. I think I can replace the door for cheaper. The warranty on the door is void because the damage is due to a storm door installed by the prior homeowner.
If I replace the door, do I need to also replace the sidelights? Just the door is damaged, and it is a standard 36"X 79".
Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks
If you buy the door only (not prehung in a door frame), you wouldn't need to swap out the sidelites. However, if you buy a prehung door, you would normally need to buy sidelites as well, since they're mulled together. It is possible to take apart the 3 respective frames and remull the old sidelite frames to the new door frame, but they potentially may not align on the sills. A word of warning though - if you buy a door only, and it's a different brand door, it may not properly fit. Various door manufacturers have slightly differing sizes; they might be 79-1/2" tall, 79-3/8" tall, 79" tall, etc. Also the hinge holes might be in different places. Good luck!
thanks for your help. All that really needs to be fixed is the molding--does anyone have any ideas where I can just get a replacement molding for less than the $450 that peachtree doors is charging? It's a half circle fanlight with width of 20" and height of 9". Thanks again.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 9 Decorating Lessons We Learned from Social Media
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!