I need help figuring our what to do. My steel entry door has a fanlight and the molding has melted. We are selling the house and are looking for economical solutions.
The door is a Peachtree door with sidelights. Peachtree wants to charge $450 just to replace the molding. I think I can replace the door for cheaper. The warranty on the door is void because the damage is due to a storm door installed by the prior homeowner.
If I replace the door, do I need to also replace the sidelights? Just the door is damaged, and it is a standard 36"X 79".
Any help would be really appreciated. Thanks
If you buy the door only (not prehung in a door frame), you wouldn't need to swap out the sidelites. However, if you buy a prehung door, you would normally need to buy sidelites as well, since they're mulled together. It is possible to take apart the 3 respective frames and remull the old sidelite frames to the new door frame, but they potentially may not align on the sills. A word of warning though - if you buy a door only, and it's a different brand door, it may not properly fit. Various door manufacturers have slightly differing sizes; they might be 79-1/2" tall, 79-3/8" tall, 79" tall, etc. Also the hinge holes might be in different places. Good luck!
thanks for your help. All that really needs to be fixed is the molding--does anyone have any ideas where I can just get a replacement molding for less than the $450 that peachtree doors is charging? It's a half circle fanlight with width of 20" and height of 9". Thanks again.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 8 Cleaning Mistakes Everyone Makes
- 10 Insanely Creative Shelves You Can DIY
- 10 Bargain Organizers for a Tidy Garage
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 9 Backyard Fire Pits You Can Afford
- 10 Things You Didn't Know Windex Can Do
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 16 Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!