I need to have four patio doors and one kitchen 2-pane window replaced. Brothers only does the retrofit. I don't know if the retrofit is also very good compared with New construction. My neighbor's remodeling contractor told me that new construction is prone to leaking in the future. My siding is stucco, so two dealers suggested retrofit. One milgard dealer said it's better to have patio door installed with new construction, but window does not matter which way.
Brothers' double pane glass is LowE cubed-366 with Argon gas, super spacer, and exterior glass coated with silicon dioxide and titanium dioxide for self cleaning. They only do retrofit. Anlin also comes standard with these feature.
I tried sliding their two-pane window (8' by 6.5'), felt it did not slide that easily. I have the two-pane window across kitchen sink. I have to stretch my arm straight to open it, so easy sliding is important to me. I don't know if that is the problem of Brother's wide two pane window or just happened to be the window I tried. They told me nobody complained. Brother's also come standard with 2-1/4" or 3-1/4" Monterey or Laguna casing.
Milgard standard window glass seems not as good as Brothers. Of course I can request to upgrade it. I am living in the San Francisco bay area. So weather is not that a big issue to consider.
So for patio door, is it better to choose new construction or retrofit is as good? Which brand to choose for both easy sliding and energy saving, Anlin, Simonton, Brothers, or Milgard?
Any input is greatly appreciated.
- Forum >
- Windows & Doors >
- Milgard, Anlin, Simonton, or Brothers for window and patio door? New construction or retrofit?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Classic Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 8 DIY Storage Solutions for a Closet-less Room
- 9 Potent Cleaners You Didn't Know You Had
- 12 Hobbit Houses to Make You Consider Moving Underground
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- Supersize Your Small Bath With These 8 Pro Tips
- 15 Neat Garage Storage Solutions
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- 5 Minutes Flat: 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Ways to Use Leather in Your Next Project
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 9 Ways to Get on Board with Pegboard
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 8 New Ways to Use Old Wooden Crates