I need to have four patio doors and one kitchen 2-pane window replaced. Brothers only does the retrofit. I don't know if the retrofit is also very good compared with New construction. My neighbor's remodeling contractor told me that new construction is prone to leaking in the future. My siding is stucco, so two dealers suggested retrofit. One milgard dealer said it's better to have patio door installed with new construction, but window does not matter which way.
Brothers' double pane glass is LowE cubed-366 with Argon gas, super spacer, and exterior glass coated with silicon dioxide and titanium dioxide for self cleaning. They only do retrofit. Anlin also comes standard with these feature.
I tried sliding their two-pane window (8' by 6.5'), felt it did not slide that easily. I have the two-pane window across kitchen sink. I have to stretch my arm straight to open it, so easy sliding is important to me. I don't know if that is the problem of Brother's wide two pane window or just happened to be the window I tried. They told me nobody complained. Brother's also come standard with 2-1/4" or 3-1/4" Monterey or Laguna casing.
Milgard standard window glass seems not as good as Brothers. Of course I can request to upgrade it. I am living in the San Francisco bay area. So weather is not that a big issue to consider.
So for patio door, is it better to choose new construction or retrofit is as good? Which brand to choose for both easy sliding and energy saving, Anlin, Simonton, Brothers, or Milgard?
Any input is greatly appreciated.
- Forum >
- Windows & Doors >
- Milgard, Anlin, Simonton, or Brothers for window and patio door? New construction or retrofit?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 159 Storage Ideas for Space-Starved DIYers
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- 9 Easy Ways to Kill Weeds Effectively
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- Simple “Under $60” Curb Appeal Updates for Any Home
- 10 Pretty Plants You Didn't Know Were Poisonous
- Ultimate Lawn Care Guide: 12 Steps to a Prize-Winning Yard
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight