I need to have four patio doors and one kitchen 2-pane window replaced. Brothers only does the retrofit. I don't know if the retrofit is also very good compared with New construction. My neighbor's remodeling contractor told me that new construction is prone to leaking in the future. My siding is stucco, so two dealers suggested retrofit. One milgard dealer said it's better to have patio door installed with new construction, but window does not matter which way.
Brothers' double pane glass is LowE cubed-366 with Argon gas, super spacer, and exterior glass coated with silicon dioxide and titanium dioxide for self cleaning. They only do retrofit. Anlin also comes standard with these feature.
I tried sliding their two-pane window (8' by 6.5'), felt it did not slide that easily. I have the two-pane window across kitchen sink. I have to stretch my arm straight to open it, so easy sliding is important to me. I don't know if that is the problem of Brother's wide two pane window or just happened to be the window I tried. They told me nobody complained. Brother's also come standard with 2-1/4" or 3-1/4" Monterey or Laguna casing.
Milgard standard window glass seems not as good as Brothers. Of course I can request to upgrade it. I am living in the San Francisco bay area. So weather is not that a big issue to consider.
So for patio door, is it better to choose new construction or retrofit is as good? Which brand to choose for both easy sliding and energy saving, Anlin, Simonton, Brothers, or Milgard?
Any input is greatly appreciated.
- Forum >
- Windows & Doors >
- Milgard, Anlin, Simonton, or Brothers for window and patio door? New construction or retrofit?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 20 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects