I need to have four patio doors and one kitchen 2-pane window replaced. Brothers only does the retrofit. I don't know if the retrofit is also very good compared with New construction. My neighbor's remodeling contractor told me that new construction is prone to leaking in the future. My siding is stucco, so two dealers suggested retrofit. One milgard dealer said it's better to have patio door installed with new construction, but window does not matter which way.
Brothers' double pane glass is LowE cubed-366 with Argon gas, super spacer, and exterior glass coated with silicon dioxide and titanium dioxide for self cleaning. They only do retrofit. Anlin also comes standard with these feature.
I tried sliding their two-pane window (8' by 6.5'), felt it did not slide that easily. I have the two-pane window across kitchen sink. I have to stretch my arm straight to open it, so easy sliding is important to me. I don't know if that is the problem of Brother's wide two pane window or just happened to be the window I tried. They told me nobody complained. Brother's also come standard with 2-1/4" or 3-1/4" Monterey or Laguna casing.
Milgard standard window glass seems not as good as Brothers. Of course I can request to upgrade it. I am living in the San Francisco bay area. So weather is not that a big issue to consider.
So for patio door, is it better to choose new construction or retrofit is as good? Which brand to choose for both easy sliding and energy saving, Anlin, Simonton, Brothers, or Milgard?
Any input is greatly appreciated.
- Forum >
- Windows & Doors >
- Milgard, Anlin, Simonton, or Brothers for window and patio door? New construction or retrofit?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes