I need to have four patio doors and one kitchen 2-pane window replaced. Brothers only does the retrofit. I don't know if the retrofit is also very good compared with New construction. My neighbor's remodeling contractor told me that new construction is prone to leaking in the future. My siding is stucco, so two dealers suggested retrofit. One milgard dealer said it's better to have patio door installed with new construction, but window does not matter which way.
Brothers' double pane glass is LowE cubed-366 with Argon gas, super spacer, and exterior glass coated with silicon dioxide and titanium dioxide for self cleaning. They only do retrofit. Anlin also comes standard with these feature.
I tried sliding their two-pane window (8' by 6.5'), felt it did not slide that easily. I have the two-pane window across kitchen sink. I have to stretch my arm straight to open it, so easy sliding is important to me. I don't know if that is the problem of Brother's wide two pane window or just happened to be the window I tried. They told me nobody complained. Brother's also come standard with 2-1/4" or 3-1/4" Monterey or Laguna casing.
Milgard standard window glass seems not as good as Brothers. Of course I can request to upgrade it. I am living in the San Francisco bay area. So weather is not that a big issue to consider.
So for patio door, is it better to choose new construction or retrofit is as good? Which brand to choose for both easy sliding and energy saving, Anlin, Simonton, Brothers, or Milgard?
Any input is greatly appreciated.
- Forum >
- Windows & Doors >
- Milgard, Anlin, Simonton, or Brothers for window and patio door? New construction or retrofit?
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers