I'm trying to select storm windows to install on the outside of existing original prime windows. It's a house built in 1935, they are the wooden double-hung type. For the most part, for energy efficiency, we plan on sealing the prime window sashes and then installing storms. We thought about window replacement but could find nothing affordable that would allow us to match to the existing wide wooden trim throughout the house.
I've been reading on-line about low e-coatings, low air-infiltration ratings, quality construction indicators, etc. I called a window factory (that a local distributor carries), and they said their storms have never been rated for the air-infiltration index.
We live in NE Tennessee where it doesn't get too hot or cold for extended times, but we want to save money on energy bills in the long run because we plan on being in the house indefinitely.
Would you all consider a window
WITHOUT this rating? Who are some quality storm manufacturers that I should consider? What about low e-coating? I appreciate any advise.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 25 Insanely Easy-to-Make Holiday Ornaments
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 Classic Ways to Brighten Up a Dark Room
- 10 Houseplants to Improve Indoor Air Quality
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 7 Unauthorized Uses for Common Appliances
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Best Secret Hiding Spots We've Ever Seen
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 11 Ways to Winterize Your Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 17 Creative Ways to Repurpose Cardboard
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow ANYWHERE
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 10 Bookcases You Can Make Yourself
- 7 Mistakes Not to Make with Your Fireplace
- The Easy 1-Hour Money-Saving Home Checkup
- Quick Fixes for a Fresher Shower
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Ways to Redecorate Without Spending a Dime
- 16 Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!