I'm trying to select storm windows to install on the outside of existing original prime windows. It's a house built in 1935, they are the wooden double-hung type. For the most part, for energy efficiency, we plan on sealing the prime window sashes and then installing storms. We thought about window replacement but could find nothing affordable that would allow us to match to the existing wide wooden trim throughout the house.
I've been reading on-line about low e-coatings, low air-infiltration ratings, quality construction indicators, etc. I called a window factory (that a local distributor carries), and they said their storms have never been rated for the air-infiltration index.
We live in NE Tennessee where it doesn't get too hot or cold for extended times, but we want to save money on energy bills in the long run because we plan on being in the house indefinitely.
Would you all consider a window
WITHOUT this rating? Who are some quality storm manufacturers that I should consider? What about low e-coating? I appreciate any advise.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!