I am the author of "these windows do suck" I replaced my top 4 windows with Anderson 400 series. The Semco windows were rotted at the sill.
I pulled the old windows out. No sealant at all around the flange no tape at all.. just pulled the nails out and the window came out.
I had to replace the wood under the sills.. the framing on the house was rotted.
The Semco windows were wood meeting wood where the window meets the sill.
Seems like a bad design to begin with.
The new Andersen have the clad part of the sill meeting a clad part of the window.
I have 4 more to do ..All the semco blow air or are rotted. The rest will be replaced later this year.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight