I am the author of "these windows do suck" I replaced my top 4 windows with Anderson 400 series. The Semco windows were rotted at the sill.
I pulled the old windows out. No sealant at all around the flange no tape at all.. just pulled the nails out and the window came out.
I had to replace the wood under the sills.. the framing on the house was rotted.
The Semco windows were wood meeting wood where the window meets the sill.
Seems like a bad design to begin with.
The new Andersen have the clad part of the sill meeting a clad part of the window.
I have 4 more to do ..All the semco blow air or are rotted. The rest will be replaced later this year.
That sounds more like an installation problem than a window problem. Any window is only as good as the installation.
I agree 100% with BV009876. A proper, truly professional installation would have prevented your problems from ever occurring. Either the installer was completely incompetent or, even worse, padded his profits by deliberately skipping installing the windows with the proper effort & materials. If you know who the installer was, you should complain about him through your local chapter of the Better Business Bureau, alleging that one or the other occurred (without exposing yourself to liability by choosing one or the other). His only valid excuse would be that he bid the job expecting a more self-sealing product from Semco & told the homeowner that installation costs would be higher than bid because of additional materials & labor required, but that the homeowner refused to pay more than bid & insisted on the cheaper original bid price. Even then, who chose those windows, homeowner or contractor, bears responsibility for the choice.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects