I am the author of "these windows do suck" I replaced my top 4 windows with Anderson 400 series. The Semco windows were rotted at the sill.
I pulled the old windows out. No sealant at all around the flange no tape at all.. just pulled the nails out and the window came out.
I had to replace the wood under the sills.. the framing on the house was rotted.
The Semco windows were wood meeting wood where the window meets the sill.
Seems like a bad design to begin with.
The new Andersen have the clad part of the sill meeting a clad part of the window.
I have 4 more to do ..All the semco blow air or are rotted. The rest will be replaced later this year.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- 7 Surprising Other Uses for Mayonnaise
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 11 Lessons to Learn from AirBnB's Tiniest Homes
- 10 DIY Ways to Redo Your Wall—Without Paint
- 8 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 7 House Sounds Never to Ignore
- Watch These 10 Home Trends Take Off in 2015
- 11 Things Never to Keep in Your Bedroom
- 12 Places You Never Clean—But Should!