family, sidehall colonial, built circa 1983 in New Jersey. The furniture is solid wood and very heavy (approximately
1100+ lbs) in a 20' by 20' room. My wife is very concerned that the floor may give way under the weight of the furniture. Is there any
validity to this concern? Are there any standards that suggest what the minimum/maximum weight limits are for
the second floor? I don't have the blueprints and do not know who the builder was.
Thanks in advance for your response...
As far as a bearing wall, I believe that there is one about 20' into the house on the first floor, but it does not go across completely. I assume that there probably is some sort of support beam spanning the remainder of the space. Is that likely?
Theoretically, everything Kansasz has said is
true (you could even place a waterbed in the room if everything was built properly). However, I have seen alot of strange and scary building practices, which is why I am always leery of giving structural advice without always having all of the details. Given a 20 foot span, any good contractor would not go below a 2x8 joist using pine. If it was anything less you should be able to feel a springy sensation when bouncing up and down on the floor or a strong vibration when people walk across the uncarpeted floor.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 15 Once-Popular Items Now Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Design a Rustic Bathroom: 10 Inspirations
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 9 Budget Ways to Revive Your Porch
- 10 Clever Uses for Space Under Stairs
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- Make Your Small Bathroom Feel BIG
- 108 Easy Outdoor Living Ideas
- The Right Path: 15 Wonderful Walkway Designs
- 10 Smart New Uses for Old Tires
- 14 Room Dividers to Organize Your Space
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 15 Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- Design a Better Bedroom: 9 Strategies
- 21 Paint Colors That Never Fail
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 9 Easy-to-Make Garden Luminaries
- Would You Live in a Floating Home?