I just bought a house last month, it's about 50 years old. It's been raining a lot lately and last night I noticed water stains underneath a window in the sunroom. The big stain runs in a thin straight line from right underneath the windowsill to the baseboard. How do I fix this? My novice instinct tells me "caulk".. am I right?
That's a tough one. Finding leaks is more luck than skill. Water can run for "miles" before it actually shows. The easiest 1st step is to caulk. Check the flashing over the window to see if it looks bad. Be sure to "dig" out as much of the old caulk as possible. Use a goo quality caulk. I recommend an elastomeric caulk such as "Big Stretch". I just finished caulking my entire house (new paint job) and used 70 tubes of it. It works great. You should go into the attic above the window and inspect the roof over the window for water stains. You may have a leak in that area. GOOD LUCK!!
Repairing large area of drywall in bathroom from wat...
Water Meter Help
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers