I just bought a house last month, it's about 50 years old. It's been raining a lot lately and last night I noticed water stains underneath a window in the sunroom. The big stain runs in a thin straight line from right underneath the windowsill to the baseboard. How do I fix this? My novice instinct tells me "caulk".. am I right?
That's a tough one. Finding leaks is more luck than skill. Water can run for "miles" before it actually shows. The easiest 1st step is to caulk. Check the flashing over the window to see if it looks bad. Be sure to "dig" out as much of the old caulk as possible. Use a goo quality caulk. I recommend an elastomeric caulk such as "Big Stretch". I just finished caulking my entire house (new paint job) and used 70 tubes of it. It works great. You should go into the attic above the window and inspect the roof over the window for water stains. You may have a leak in that area. GOOD LUCK!!
Repairing large area of drywall in bathroom from wat...
Water Meter Help
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes