I have a window air conditioner unit that will not fit in the window of my new apartment...is it OK to put the unit in sideways? or will this damage the air conditioner?
I know that years ago it was not recommended due to restriction of oil flow within the AC units of the day, it could pose a fire hazard. Your best bet is to contact the manufacturer of your unit, or look them up on the web and ask your question there. It is possible that the unit is designed to be mounted either way, but I wouldn't until I knew for sure. Perhaps you still have the owner's manual? If so look through it, and hopefully they'll have addressed this issue. Bottom line find out "for sure" first!
DO NOT INSTALL SIDEWAYS!!!! The copressor will burn-up because the oil will run into the condesor coil and the moving parts of the compressor will not have any lubricatiuon. Also, the water condesate will run down the unit and and create a mess (either inside or outside the room. If your lease is for a year or more, I would suggest that you consider removing/modifying (not as big a job as it sounds) the window to acomodate the a/c unit. Save the parts so you can reinstall it when you move. Also, some landloards are ammenable to either allowing you to do this or maybe even paying for it (as this improves their property).
installing a small air conditioner through a cinder ...
installing an air conditioner
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 142 Remarkable Houses Around the World
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- Shelf Life: 10 Bookcase Projects You Can DIY
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- 11 Amazing Homemade Sheds to Inspire Your Own
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- Recipe for Success: 10 Easy Kitchen Storage Hacks
- Winning Combinations: 9 "Can't Miss" Color Schemes
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- The Ultimate All-Natural Cleaning Guide