I have a window air conditioner unit that will not fit in the window of my new apartment...is it OK to put the unit in sideways? or will this damage the air conditioner?
I know that years ago it was not recommended due to restriction of oil flow within the AC units of the day, it could pose a fire hazard. Your best bet is to contact the manufacturer of your unit, or look them up on the web and ask your question there. It is possible that the unit is designed to be mounted either way, but I wouldn't until I knew for sure. Perhaps you still have the owner's manual? If so look through it, and hopefully they'll have addressed this issue. Bottom line find out "for sure" first!
DO NOT INSTALL SIDEWAYS!!!! The copressor will burn-up because the oil will run into the condesor coil and the moving parts of the compressor will not have any lubricatiuon. Also, the water condesate will run down the unit and and create a mess (either inside or outside the room. If your lease is for a year or more, I would suggest that you consider removing/modifying (not as big a job as it sounds) the window to acomodate the a/c unit. Save the parts so you can reinstall it when you move. Also, some landloards are ammenable to either allowing you to do this or maybe even paying for it (as this improves their property).
installing a small air conditioner through a cinder ...
installing an air conditioner
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes