I have a window air conditioner unit that will not fit in the window of my new apartment...is it OK to put the unit in sideways? or will this damage the air conditioner?
I know that years ago it was not recommended due to restriction of oil flow within the AC units of the day, it could pose a fire hazard. Your best bet is to contact the manufacturer of your unit, or look them up on the web and ask your question there. It is possible that the unit is designed to be mounted either way, but I wouldn't until I knew for sure. Perhaps you still have the owner's manual? If so look through it, and hopefully they'll have addressed this issue. Bottom line find out "for sure" first!
DO NOT INSTALL SIDEWAYS!!!! The copressor will burn-up because the oil will run into the condesor coil and the moving parts of the compressor will not have any lubricatiuon. Also, the water condesate will run down the unit and and create a mess (either inside or outside the room. If your lease is for a year or more, I would suggest that you consider removing/modifying (not as big a job as it sounds) the window to acomodate the a/c unit. Save the parts so you can reinstall it when you move. Also, some landloards are ammenable to either allowing you to do this or maybe even paying for it (as this improves their property).
installing a small air conditioner through a cinder ...
installing an air conditioner
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 16 Designs for a Low-Cost DIY Coffee Table
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- 9 Ways to Make Your TV Look at Home
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Unexpected Spots for Accent Colors
- 10 Fantastic Furniture Makeovers
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- 9 Closet Storage Tips from a Pro Organizer
- 7 Seriously Surprising Spots for a Fireplace
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 12 Tiny Gardens to Grow on a Tabletop
- Supersize Your Small Bathroom with 8 Tips
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love