I have a window air conditioner unit that will not fit in the window of my new apartment...is it OK to put the unit in sideways? or will this damage the air conditioner?
I know that years ago it was not recommended due to restriction of oil flow within the AC units of the day, it could pose a fire hazard. Your best bet is to contact the manufacturer of your unit, or look them up on the web and ask your question there. It is possible that the unit is designed to be mounted either way, but I wouldn't until I knew for sure. Perhaps you still have the owner's manual? If so look through it, and hopefully they'll have addressed this issue. Bottom line find out "for sure" first!
DO NOT INSTALL SIDEWAYS!!!! The copressor will burn-up because the oil will run into the condesor coil and the moving parts of the compressor will not have any lubricatiuon. Also, the water condesate will run down the unit and and create a mess (either inside or outside the room. If your lease is for a year or more, I would suggest that you consider removing/modifying (not as big a job as it sounds) the window to acomodate the a/c unit. Save the parts so you can reinstall it when you move. Also, some landloards are ammenable to either allowing you to do this or maybe even paying for it (as this improves their property).
installing a small air conditioner through a cinder ...
installing an air conditioner
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 13 Lazy Cleaning Tricks for a Spotless Home
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 12 Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 7 House Sounds You Never Want to Ignore
- 10 Surprisingly Simple Woodworking Projects
- Worth It: 8 Renovations That Pay You Back
- Organize Your Life with 12 Dollar-Store Buys
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Don't Make These 7 Mistakes in Small Spaces
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 15 Totally Unexpected DIY Flooring Alternatives
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers
- 10 Closet Cures That Cost Less Than $100
- 11 Easy DIY Projects to Declutter Your Home
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Garden Hacks
- 10 Killproof Plants for a No-Effort Landscape
- 9 Insanely Easy 1-Hour Backyard Projects