Just purchased a gel alcohol fireplace. It looks and works great and is vent free and small for easy installation. The fire and ceramic logs are realistic loking and throw enough heat to warm a chilly room. I've tried 3 brands of fuel (Sunsor,Real Flame & Alco-brite), however, and all have a bit of an odor when burning. Everything I've read indicates that it's ventless use is safe,uses about as much oxygen as 1 burner on a gas stove and only emits as much carbon dioxide and water vapor as a person breathing. Is there anyway to reduce the odor. Would partial venting work? Is there any way without producing smoke or carbon monoxide to at least make it smell a bit like a wood fire? Anyone know how this fuel is made?
Since no one else replied, I'll do so myself. I found that chafing fuel, such as "Easy Heat" used for buffet chafing dishes has virtually no odor, requires no venting, has a nice yellow adjustable flame & costs less then most of the gel alcohol fuels. It is available in restuarant supply stores. it is spill proof & very safe to store. It burns Di ethelyne Gycol -a close relative to anti freeze.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes