I need some help please. I have a two story 1890's farmhouse. I've been in the house about 9 months, gradually restoring bits at a time. I noticed upstairs in a particular corner the paint and plaster was a problem. Looked like dampness. I figured I would just deal with it. In the last month however, my kitchen has been inundated with mildew, particularly in one corner. The ceiling paint is now starting to peel in the kitchen also. Both the kitchen and the upstairs problem bedroom are on the NW corner of the house - and the problem is in the corners (spreading out) of those rooms. Now, I have three cedar trees hugging the house on that corner. I love the feel of the shade, but could this be causing my problem? I hate to cut them down for the wrong reasons. I know, I know - you aren't supposed to have trees close to the house, but I just HATE the idea of cutting them.
You either have a leaky roof or more likely an interior moisture problem. Do you have bathroom vent fans? If so, use them during showers. Otherwise, buy and use adequately sized dehumidifiers and you should be ok. Wipe the affected areas with a mild bleach/water solution (wear eye protection) and the problem will go away.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight