I need some help please. I have a two story 1890's farmhouse. I've been in the house about 9 months, gradually restoring bits at a time. I noticed upstairs in a particular corner the paint and plaster was a problem. Looked like dampness. I figured I would just deal with it. In the last month however, my kitchen has been inundated with mildew, particularly in one corner. The ceiling paint is now starting to peel in the kitchen also. Both the kitchen and the upstairs problem bedroom are on the NW corner of the house - and the problem is in the corners (spreading out) of those rooms. Now, I have three cedar trees hugging the house on that corner. I love the feel of the shade, but could this be causing my problem? I hate to cut them down for the wrong reasons. I know, I know - you aren't supposed to have trees close to the house, but I just HATE the idea of cutting them.
You either have a leaky roof or more likely an interior moisture problem. Do you have bathroom vent fans? If so, use them during showers. Otherwise, buy and use adequately sized dehumidifiers and you should be ok. Wipe the affected areas with a mild bleach/water solution (wear eye protection) and the problem will go away.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes