I need some help please. I have a two story 1890's farmhouse. I've been in the house about 9 months, gradually restoring bits at a time. I noticed upstairs in a particular corner the paint and plaster was a problem. Looked like dampness. I figured I would just deal with it. In the last month however, my kitchen has been inundated with mildew, particularly in one corner. The ceiling paint is now starting to peel in the kitchen also. Both the kitchen and the upstairs problem bedroom are on the NW corner of the house - and the problem is in the corners (spreading out) of those rooms. Now, I have three cedar trees hugging the house on that corner. I love the feel of the shade, but could this be causing my problem? I hate to cut them down for the wrong reasons. I know, I know - you aren't supposed to have trees close to the house, but I just HATE the idea of cutting them.
You either have a leaky roof or more likely an interior moisture problem. Do you have bathroom vent fans? If so, use them during showers. Otherwise, buy and use adequately sized dehumidifiers and you should be ok. Wipe the affected areas with a mild bleach/water solution (wear eye protection) and the problem will go away.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 9 Ways to Troubleshoot the Furnace
- 11 Real Haunted Houses to Visit--If You Dare!
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- 21 Expert Picks for Fail-Safe Colors
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 Unexpected Uses for Spray Paint
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 8 Amazing Handmade Kitchen Counters
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 5 "Make in a Weekend" Bookshelf Projects
- 3 New Ways to Decorate with Fallen Leaves
- 10 "Zero Dollar" Storage Hacks
- 121 DIY Ideas for Halloween
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!