We moved into a home with a white bathtub that has lost it's shine, and therefore gets dirty very quickly, and is difficult to clean. The house is about 40 years old, I'm wondering if the bathtub is too??
I don't hear good things about the tub liners.. and am wondering if anyone has ever had a bathtub refinsihed (I've heard they charge them magnetically and then spray paint??). And what would this procedure cost/ how long does the new finish last? ANY advice would be appreciated, thanks so much!
We moved into our house two years ago and the tub was a Harvest gold in colour. We had it refinished white in color by a local company which cost approximately $250 Canadian or $175 US. It looks almost like new and it has worn very well. We saved some money by doing the caulking ourselves.
Hope this helps!
Hope this helps!
Relining a bathtub isn't too bad, but it's very hard to get a precise match to the tub itself. I own a bathtub refinishing business and I have seen where the liners didn't fit the tub very well. The tub had started to collect water around the drain and cause one heck of a mess. One positive thing about refinishing is that it's quick and the tub looks like new where as the liner is just a slip cover. I would check out the refinishers in your area and see what is the best for your situation.
A guy I work with is re-enamelling his bathtub with a brush-on product. He says that the surface tension gives a very smooth finish and he's quite pleased with it. I think it cost him about $20 CAD, but I don't know what it's called. I'm likely going to use the same thing to re-do my tub. The way I figure it, if you screw up you are probably only out the $20 extra than if you had someone do it for you right off the bat.
I'll try to find out what the product is.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 10 Planters You Can Make Out of Everyday Things
- 21 "Expert Picks" for Fail-Safe Colors
- Garden Paths: 12 Easy-to-Imitate Stone Walkways
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 9 Incredible Faux Finishes Possible with Paint
- 10 Sly Spots Where You Can Stash Your Storage Stuff
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 11 Creative Garden Borders You Can Make—Easily!
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight