We moved into a home with a white bathtub that has lost it's shine, and therefore gets dirty very quickly, and is difficult to clean. The house is about 40 years old, I'm wondering if the bathtub is too??
I don't hear good things about the tub liners.. and am wondering if anyone has ever had a bathtub refinsihed (I've heard they charge them magnetically and then spray paint??). And what would this procedure cost/ how long does the new finish last? ANY advice would be appreciated, thanks so much!
We moved into our house two years ago and the tub was a Harvest gold in colour. We had it refinished white in color by a local company which cost approximately $250 Canadian or $175 US. It looks almost like new and it has worn very well. We saved some money by doing the caulking ourselves.
Hope this helps!
Hope this helps!
Relining a bathtub isn't too bad, but it's very hard to get a precise match to the tub itself. I own a bathtub refinishing business and I have seen where the liners didn't fit the tub very well. The tub had started to collect water around the drain and cause one heck of a mess. One positive thing about refinishing is that it's quick and the tub looks like new where as the liner is just a slip cover. I would check out the refinishers in your area and see what is the best for your situation.
A guy I work with is re-enamelling his bathtub with a brush-on product. He says that the surface tension gives a very smooth finish and he's quite pleased with it. I think it cost him about $20 CAD, but I don't know what it's called. I'm likely going to use the same thing to re-do my tub. The way I figure it, if you screw up you are probably only out the $20 extra than if you had someone do it for you right off the bat.
I'll try to find out what the product is.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- 17 Jaw Dropping Deck Designs for Your Home
- 10 Woodworking Projects for Beginners
- 283 Great DIY Project Ideas
- 10 DIY Ways Renters Can Customize Their Space
- Decorating "Rules" Meant to Be Broken
- 17 Backsplashes for a Unique Kitchen
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 16 Creative Cabinet Updates
- 10 Ways to Bring Typography Style Home
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- Make Your Own Kitchen Island: 12 Designs
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- Small Bedrooms, Huge Amounts of Style
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- Tiny Bedroom? 10 Space-Saving Solutions
- Uses for Beer & Booze Around the House
- 1 Dozen Ways to Maximize a Small Yard
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 10 Secondhand Shopping Tips