We moved into a home with a white bathtub that has lost it's shine, and therefore gets dirty very quickly, and is difficult to clean. The house is about 40 years old, I'm wondering if the bathtub is too??
I don't hear good things about the tub liners.. and am wondering if anyone has ever had a bathtub refinsihed (I've heard they charge them magnetically and then spray paint??). And what would this procedure cost/ how long does the new finish last? ANY advice would be appreciated, thanks so much!
We moved into our house two years ago and the tub was a Harvest gold in colour. We had it refinished white in color by a local company which cost approximately $250 Canadian or $175 US. It looks almost like new and it has worn very well. We saved some money by doing the caulking ourselves.
Hope this helps!
Hope this helps!
Relining a bathtub isn't too bad, but it's very hard to get a precise match to the tub itself. I own a bathtub refinishing business and I have seen where the liners didn't fit the tub very well. The tub had started to collect water around the drain and cause one heck of a mess. One positive thing about refinishing is that it's quick and the tub looks like new where as the liner is just a slip cover. I would check out the refinishers in your area and see what is the best for your situation.
A guy I work with is re-enamelling his bathtub with a brush-on product. He says that the surface tension gives a very smooth finish and he's quite pleased with it. I think it cost him about $20 CAD, but I don't know what it's called. I'm likely going to use the same thing to re-do my tub. The way I figure it, if you screw up you are probably only out the $20 extra than if you had someone do it for you right off the bat.
I'll try to find out what the product is.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Picture-Perfect Patios: 10 Outdoor Spaces to Love
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers