Deck with a screen porch underneath
a screen porch below.
What are you thinking??? I'm not sure what you mean by clever. Do you want a year-round porch or just a summer one? Is it on a slab or is the porch raised a bit? How big is it?
Give more info, please. Again, what are YOUR thoughts???
Jay J -Moderator
beyond the slab. I want to build a screen
porch for warm weather use only(May-October in Minnesota).
1.Keeping water, dirt and bugs from above out.
2.Avoiding a classic roof pitch if possible; bottom of deck is about 9.5 feet above slab and the porch will extend 12 feet out from house.
3.Making it attractive
4.I may need to pour a foundation around the
perimeter of the porch. I'd rather avoid this if possible.
As I drive around looking, I see almost no screen porches under decks. I am mostly looking for ideas that I can adapt. I have rarely worked on a project where I can't find existing designs to "borrow" ideas from.
Any thoughts would be appreciated
Well, this is a toughy. To me, for what you want, it sounds like you have to frame it out as you would a normal additions. Can you use piers instead of a foundation? Of course, you'll have to go below frost line in either case. (If you're not familiar w/piers, find a good book and read up ...)
I don't know how 'imaginative' one could get. I think that's left to the 'finish' work on this job. There are magazines that might have some pictures for you. In my town, there are a couple of stores that specialize in selling magazines. And, boy, there are TONS of them! Maybe you'll find one that specializes in decks, porches, and combos. Gee, I wish I could offer more.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
[This message has been edited by Barryw (edited May 23, 2001).]
did you complete the room-under-deck? If so, how did you go about it - self or contractor? Also, do you have any reference photos or cost estimates? I am Minneapolis as well, have the same type of deck, and want to build the same type of room --
any info would be greatly appreciated!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes