Deck with a screen porch underneath
a screen porch below.
What are you thinking??? I'm not sure what you mean by clever. Do you want a year-round porch or just a summer one? Is it on a slab or is the porch raised a bit? How big is it?
Give more info, please. Again, what are YOUR thoughts???
Jay J -Moderator
beyond the slab. I want to build a screen
porch for warm weather use only(May-October in Minnesota).
1.Keeping water, dirt and bugs from above out.
2.Avoiding a classic roof pitch if possible; bottom of deck is about 9.5 feet above slab and the porch will extend 12 feet out from house.
3.Making it attractive
4.I may need to pour a foundation around the
perimeter of the porch. I'd rather avoid this if possible.
As I drive around looking, I see almost no screen porches under decks. I am mostly looking for ideas that I can adapt. I have rarely worked on a project where I can't find existing designs to "borrow" ideas from.
Any thoughts would be appreciated
Well, this is a toughy. To me, for what you want, it sounds like you have to frame it out as you would a normal additions. Can you use piers instead of a foundation? Of course, you'll have to go below frost line in either case. (If you're not familiar w/piers, find a good book and read up ...)
I don't know how 'imaginative' one could get. I think that's left to the 'finish' work on this job. There are magazines that might have some pictures for you. In my town, there are a couple of stores that specialize in selling magazines. And, boy, there are TONS of them! Maybe you'll find one that specializes in decks, porches, and combos. Gee, I wish I could offer more.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
[This message has been edited by Barryw (edited May 23, 2001).]
did you complete the room-under-deck? If so, how did you go about it - self or contractor? Also, do you have any reference photos or cost estimates? I am Minneapolis as well, have the same type of deck, and want to build the same type of room --
any info would be greatly appreciated!
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 15 Fast Facade Fixes for Instant Curb Appeal
- 9 Expert Furniture Arranging Tips
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 13 Lanterns For Your Porch, Patio, or Garden
- 5 Ways to Repurpose Old Window Screens
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 7 Smart Shoe Racks You Can Make Today
- 12 Garden Sheds You Could Live (or Work) In
- Mirror Magic: 10 Ways of Using Mirrors to Your Design Advantage
- Capitalize on Your Attic: 10 Inspirations
- 16 Cool DIY Coffee Tables
- 10 Fall Home Maintenance Musts
- 7 Powerful Cleaners in Your Pantry
- 10 DIY Ways to Dress Up Your House for Fall
- Buy or Build: 15 Desks We Love
- 10 Great DIY Bookshelf Projects
- Believe It or Not: 9 Incredible Faux Finishes You Can Do Yourself
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- 10 FREE Storage Hacks
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 10 "Must Do" September Projects
- 9 Calming Colors for a Serene Home
- 16 Easy Ideas for Customized Cabinets
- 17 Mini Bars to Mix Up Your Home Decor
- 20 Ways to Make a Small Bathroom Big
- 12 Unique DIY Kitchen Island Designs