Deck with a screen porch underneath
a screen porch below.
What are you thinking??? I'm not sure what you mean by clever. Do you want a year-round porch or just a summer one? Is it on a slab or is the porch raised a bit? How big is it?
Give more info, please. Again, what are YOUR thoughts???
Jay J -Moderator
beyond the slab. I want to build a screen
porch for warm weather use only(May-October in Minnesota).
1.Keeping water, dirt and bugs from above out.
2.Avoiding a classic roof pitch if possible; bottom of deck is about 9.5 feet above slab and the porch will extend 12 feet out from house.
3.Making it attractive
4.I may need to pour a foundation around the
perimeter of the porch. I'd rather avoid this if possible.
As I drive around looking, I see almost no screen porches under decks. I am mostly looking for ideas that I can adapt. I have rarely worked on a project where I can't find existing designs to "borrow" ideas from.
Any thoughts would be appreciated
Well, this is a toughy. To me, for what you want, it sounds like you have to frame it out as you would a normal additions. Can you use piers instead of a foundation? Of course, you'll have to go below frost line in either case. (If you're not familiar w/piers, find a good book and read up ...)
I don't know how 'imaginative' one could get. I think that's left to the 'finish' work on this job. There are magazines that might have some pictures for you. In my town, there are a couple of stores that specialize in selling magazines. And, boy, there are TONS of them! Maybe you'll find one that specializes in decks, porches, and combos. Gee, I wish I could offer more.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
[This message has been edited by Barryw (edited May 23, 2001).]
did you complete the room-under-deck? If so, how did you go about it - self or contractor? Also, do you have any reference photos or cost estimates? I am Minneapolis as well, have the same type of deck, and want to build the same type of room --
any info would be greatly appreciated!
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 17 Design Inspirations for Mudrooms and Entryways
- 25 Clever Ideas for Repurposed Storage
- 10 Clever Uses for the Space Under the Stairs
- Laundry Room Ideas to Knock Your Socks Off
- 30 Things Every Homeowner Should Know How to Do
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- House Quiz: Test Your Knowledge of U.S. Architecture
- 10 Things You Can Build with Plumbing Pipes
- Sweet Dreams: 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Kitchen Envy: 10 Rooms We Love
- 16 Ingenious IKEA Hacks
- 18 Clever and Easy DIY Ways to Use Rope at Home
- 10 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- 10 Room Dividers to Bring Order to Your Space
- 9 No-Sew Fabric DIY Projects to Dress Up Any Room
- Tips and Tricks to Fit More into Less Closet Space
- Secret Rooms: 10 Special Spaces Hidden from Sight