Is soft water safe to drink? Do we still need to put in a water filter? Any suggestions? Someone told me we should have bypassed the kitchen with our softener, but I don't agree - then you would lose all the benefits of washing dishes in soft water! Any advice?
My belief has always been that "hard" water contains minerals and a water softener removes or reduces those minerals, thereby making the water more pure. What could be wrong with that?
Lots of misconceptions about water softeners. Since they use salt to 'recondition' the resins, many believe that you get lots of salt in your water. Not so. It is just used to recondition the resins and then the resins are flushed completely. Good idea to bypass all outside faucets/sprinkler systems and the fill faucet for any hot tub/spa - soft water not usually recommended for them. By all means, use in kitchen and most everywhere else.
Thank you both for your quick answers. Do you believe that we still need a water filter for the kitchen for drinking water? Which kind do you recommend if yes?
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes