We are purchasing a home that has a swimming pool built in the late 50's with a hydraulic lift, 2 panel, fiberglass pool cover. by turning a level the cover lifts off of the pool and converts to a shade awning on either side. we have never seen anything like it and are trying to decide if we should keep it or not. the pool needs to be re-done, it has not been touched in over 7 years. does anyone know anything about these covers? should we keep it?
I personally have never seen a gizmo like yours but it sounds like a great idea, as long as it works properly I would keep it, every pool needs a shady area to loaf in. Also there should be less of a drain on your chemicals if you use the cover for shading. Direct sun has a tendency to use them up in a hurry.
We purchased an older home with the same pool cover as yours. These pool covers are awesome, they lower chemical use, keep the pool spotless, and they also serve as a solar heater to keep the water at a "swimable" temperature in cooler weather. The company who made them is no longer around, but the covers are very basic and you can repair them almost entirely yourself with a little research. The hydraulics system is very basic and can be repaired by anyone with knowledge of hydraulics. Keep the cover. There is nothing like it made today and these things cost thousands of dollars to install. Most people cannot afford one, which is probably one of the reasons the company is not around.
I also have one of this type pool cover and it worked good for several years. The only problem we ever had is with the metal beams that the fiberglass secures to, it rusts badly. however, we live in Arizona and the cover is great for keeping the pool clean from our dust storms an provides great shade in the summer.
- 15 Old House Features We Were Wrong to Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 20 Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 70 Gardening Tricks and Ideas for Total Beginners
- 16 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- Top 10 Classic DIY Projects for the Outdoors
- 15 Once-Popular Household Items That Are Vanishing
- 159 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 30 Things Every Adult Should Know How to Do
- 10 Wise Ways to Get Rid of Pests and Critters
- Before and After: 9 Totally Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- Top Tips for Keeping Countertops Like New
- 15 Amazing Things You Can Make with $0 Scrap Wood
- 14 Ways to Get More Kitchen Counter Space
- Assembly Required: 15 DIY Kit Homes
- 18 Bathroom Updates You Can Do in 1 Day
- 9 Tried-and-True Methods of Eliminating Weeds
- Top 11 Color Trends to Follow in 2014
- 11 Clever Alternatives to Kitchen Cabinets
- 7 Easy Budget-Friendly Backyard Makeovers