We are purchasing a home that has a swimming pool built in the late 50's with a hydraulic lift, 2 panel, fiberglass pool cover. by turning a level the cover lifts off of the pool and converts to a shade awning on either side. we have never seen anything like it and are trying to decide if we should keep it or not. the pool needs to be re-done, it has not been touched in over 7 years. does anyone know anything about these covers? should we keep it?
I personally have never seen a gizmo like yours but it sounds like a great idea, as long as it works properly I would keep it, every pool needs a shady area to loaf in. Also there should be less of a drain on your chemicals if you use the cover for shading. Direct sun has a tendency to use them up in a hurry.
We purchased an older home with the same pool cover as yours. These pool covers are awesome, they lower chemical use, keep the pool spotless, and they also serve as a solar heater to keep the water at a "swimable" temperature in cooler weather. The company who made them is no longer around, but the covers are very basic and you can repair them almost entirely yourself with a little research. The hydraulics system is very basic and can be repaired by anyone with knowledge of hydraulics. Keep the cover. There is nothing like it made today and these things cost thousands of dollars to install. Most people cannot afford one, which is probably one of the reasons the company is not around.
I also have one of this type pool cover and it worked good for several years. The only problem we ever had is with the metal beams that the fiberglass secures to, it rusts badly. however, we live in Arizona and the cover is great for keeping the pool clean from our dust storms an provides great shade in the summer.
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- 30 Things Everyone Should Know
- 21 Expert Choices for Fail-Safe Paint Colors
- 20 Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- 10 IKEA Favorites Made New with Paint
- The Tiniest Appliances You Never Knew Existed
- 133 Smart Storage Ideas for the Whole House
- 16 New Ways to Store Kitchen Necessities
- 8 Ways to Make a Small Room Look Big
- Sweet Dreams: 15 Inventive Beds You Can Make Yourself
- 10 Fall Door DIYs for the Best House on the Block
- The Cheapest Ways to Boost Home Value
- 10 New Uses for Old Doors
- 26 Easy Painted Pumpkins for Halloween
- 15 Once-Popular Home Items Now Vanishing
- 8 Unique Ways to Build Your Own Table
- Woodworking for Beginners: 10 Projects
- 7 Reasons to Reconsider Wallpaper
- 10 New Uses for Old Dressers
- 7 Upgrades You Can Do in Under 300 Seconds
- 10 Thrifty DIY Ways to Organize Your Home
- 12 "Different" Ways to Store Firewood
- 5 DIY Farm Table Projects That Will Last a Lifetime
- Beyond White: 11 Bathroom Paint Colors
- 10 DIYs for a Festive Front Door This Fall
- 10 Creative New Ways to Use Old Bottles
- The 10 Best Things to Buy Secondhand
- 16 Must-See Coffee Tables You Can DIY—Easily!