Carpenter ants/Rotten Sill
ABSOLUTELY, you need to take care of the ants first. There is TONS of information on the WEB about Carpenter Ants. I searched for +"carpenter ants" and +kill (Both keywords/phrases together in a WEB Search Engine like AltaVista.com), and got over 900 'hits' on the search. (In fact, if you cut and past the keys into the Search Box, you'll get them too.)
You need to be sure that what you have is Carpenter Ants and not Termites. So, learn what you can about one and/or the other to be sure. From there, you can start the cleanup process. The KEY to this process is to dramatically reduce, or better yet ELIMINATE, any 1 or all of the 'conditions' in which the buggers thrive. In other words, if you 'alter' their environment juuuuuust enough, they will die or go away. HOWEVER, if you don't alter the conditions enough, they may just go deeper or move to a nearby location. You need to look at the BIGGER picture so that if they move on, they move to your NEIGHBORS house; NOT just 'around the corner of your house'. See what I mean?
Go here: AltaVista.com, then click the DO-it-yourself pest control link, then click on the link for Carpenter Ants, and start reading. Again, be SURE they're your problem.
My best to ya and hope this helps.
Jay J -Moderator
PS: Regarding your porch, you need to give more details on what's going on now and what you want to do. DO realize - I/we can't see it from here. Please give a respectable amount of info ...
- 15 Old House Features We Shouldn't Abandon
- 17 Tiny Bathrooms We Love
- Make Your Bed: 9 DIY Headboards
- Insanely Easy 60-Minute Home Improvements
- Space-Saving Solutions for Tiny Bedrooms
- 9 Perfect Color Combos for Your Home
- 22 Tiny Houses We Love
- See the Most Highly Anticipated Colors for 2015
- What's the Best Color for Living Rooms?
- Favorite Space-Saving Double-Duty Furniture
- 10 Low-Cost DIY Home Security Solutions
- Redecorate Without Spending a Dime: 10 Ideas
- 10 Houseplants You Can Grow Anywhere
- 9 Amazing Mobile Home Makeovers
- 10 Doable Designs for a DIY Rug
- 9 Alternative Uses for Toothpaste
- Live Large in a (Very) Small Space
- 8 Cheap and Unique DIY Nightstands
- 15 Eye-Catching Options for Your Front Door
- Supersize Your Small Bath with 8 Pro Tips
- Don't Try This at Home: 7 Dangerous DIYs
- 10 Simple Woodworking Projects
- Is There Anything Vinegar Can't Do?
- 7 Incredible Uses for Salvaged Lumber
- 12 Tiny Gardens You Can Grow on a Tabletop
- 16 Sneaky Storage Ideas
- 10 Surprisingly Smart Solutions for Junk Drawers
- Bright & Bold Colors for Your Front Door
- DIY Bookcases: 16 Easy Project Ideas
- Don't Make These 7 Fireplace Mistakes